Our Local Transport Strategy (LTS) sets out our vision, objectives and proposals for local transportation in North Ayrshire.
We use it to influence the actions of partner organisations who deliver aspects of transport within North Ayrshire's boundaries and surrounding regions.
We work with partner organisations to deliver the LTS. They play a vital role in ensuring that the transport network is as efficient, inclusive, safe, integrated and sustainable as possible.
Download the finalised Local Transport Strategy 2015 to 2020 (PDF, 4.95mb).
Draft Local Transport and Active Travel Strategy 2023 - 2028)
Following public and stakeholder consultation during 2022, a new Local Transport and Active Travel Strategy (LTATS) has been drafted. The strategy refers to all types of transport and considers how to make travel easier for all.
The new draft LTATS sets out the policies to be adopted and the actions to be implemented to guide the planning and improvement of the local transport and active travel networks. It outlines behaviour change initiatives aimed at supporting and encouraging people to use the sustainable transport networks more often. A detailed action plan identifies actions and priorities for the period of the Strategy.
An Interim SEA Environmental Report of the draft LTATS has been produced. The role of the Strategic Environmental Assessment is to consider ways by which the LTATS can contribute to improvements in environment, social and economic conditions, as well as a means of identifying and mitigating any potential adverse effects that the Strategy might otherwise have. By doing so, it can help make sure that the proposals in the Strategy are the most appropriate given the alternatives. The Strategic Environmental Assessment is fundamentally a plan-making tool.
The draft LTATS and the SEA Report can be found on the North Ayrshire Transport Strategy website.
Hard copies of the reports and feedback forms will be available at local libraries.
We would be grateful for your feedback on the draft LTATS. This will help us to finalise and publish the Strategy. We want to understand if we have identified the key actions that can be delivered by North Ayrshire Council to improve transport for all in the area. You can tell us what you think by:
The consultation closed 23 April 2023.
North Ayrshire Roads & Transport's vision is to:
- Integrate all forms of transport, land use planning, and other strategic policies within the council relating to economic regeneration, development, and the environment.
- Maintain and enhance the choice of transport modes to ensure that all sections of the community have safe, secure and equal opportunity to access all local facilities, and good transport links to other parts of the country.
- Manage and contain any future growth in traffic and promote alternatives, to ensure that traffic congestion problems and air pollution do not develop.
Our objectives are to:
- Promote social inclusion by connecting communities to facilities and services, and increasing the accessibility of the transport network.
- Promote economic growth by maximising the effectiveness and efficiency of transport services, infrastructure and networks.
- Minimise the environmental footprint of transport services, infrastructure and networks.
- Improve the integration of the transport system between different services and modes, and with other relevant local, regional, and national policies.
- Reduce accidents and enhance the personal safety of all users of the transport network, by improving the safety and security of journeys.
Public roads in North Ayrshire
Our List of Public Roads (PDF, 15mb) is a register of public roads in North Ayrshire.