Our Local Transport Strategy (LTS) sets out our vision, objectives and proposals for local transportation in North Ayrshire.
We use it to influence the actions of partner organisations who deliver aspects of transport within North Ayrshire's boundaries and surrounding regions.
We work with partner organisations to deliver the LTS. They play a vital role in ensuring that the transport network is as efficient, inclusive, safe, integrated and sustainable as possible.
Download the finalised Local Transport Strategy 2015 to 2020 (PDF, 4.95mb).
We have begun the process of updating the current Local Transport Strategy. It will be updated in line with the revised national transport strategy, regional transport strategy and Ayrshire Growth Deal which will, along with other strategies, affect the economics and transportation in the area. The new Local Transport Strategy will include an Active Travel Strategy.
The new strategy will set out the policies and interventions to be adopted to guide the planning and improvement of the local transport and active travel networks, as well as supporting behaviour change initiatives.
Further details and information on how to get involved is available.
North Ayrshire Council has made the determination under Section 8(1) of the Environmental Assessment (Scotland) Act 2005 that the Local Transport and Active Travel Strategy is likely to result in significant environmental effects. The strategy will therefore be subject to a Strategic Environmental Assessment.
The Screening Determination (PDF, 630kb) is available for you to view.
A paper copy of the determination can be obtained by emailing transportation@north‐ayrshire.gov.uk or by calling 01294 310000 and asking for a member of the Transportation team. Written requests should be addressed to:
Active Travel and Transport
Economic Development & Regeneration
North Ayrshire Council
Irvine, KA12 8EE
North Ayrshire Roads & Transport's vision is to:
- Integrate all forms of transport, land use planning, and other strategic policies within the council relating to economic regeneration, development, and the environment.
- Maintain and enhance the choice of transport modes to ensure that all sections of the community have safe, secure and equal opportunity to access all local facilities, and good transport links to other parts of the country.
- Manage and contain any future growth in traffic and promote alternatives, to ensure that traffic congestion problems and air pollution do not develop.
Our objectives are to:
- Promote social inclusion by connecting communities to facilities and services, and increasing the accessibility of the transport network.
- Promote economic growth by maximising the effectiveness and efficiency of transport services, infrastructure and networks.
- Minimise the environmental footprint of transport services, infrastructure and networks.
- Improve the integration of the transport system between different services and modes, and with other relevant local, regional, and national policies.
- Reduce accidents and enhance the personal safety of all users of the transport network, by improving the safety and security of journeys.
Public roads in North Ayrshire
Our List of Public Roads (PDF, 4mb) is a register of public roads in North Ayrshire.