North Ayrshire Council's Local Housing Strategy 2018-22 (PDF, 1.45mb) details how the council and its partners will tackle challenges and issues within the local housing system, during the lifetime of the strategy.
The strategy was approved by Cabinet on 12 December 2017.
The strategy was developed through a process of research and consultation. Local housing challenges and issues were identified as a result of the findings from the 'Housing Need and Demand Assessment' and 8 'Local Housing Strategy' research papers:
Local Housing Strategy Outcome Plan
The Local Housing Strategy is supported by its Outcome Plan (PDF, 278kb). The plan collates the commitments made within the strategy and provides detail on how these will be achieved.
Five key themes have been identified, with associated outcomes agreed with local people, partners and stakeholders. These will ensure our housing is fit for purpose, dynamic and flexible.
Supply - the supply of housing meets the needs and aspirations of local people.
Condition - people live in good quality homes that they can afford to heat.
Place - our homes are located in strong, stable and safe communities.
Support - people receive the support they need to live independently at home, for as long as possible, LHS interim scheme of assistance (PDF, 952kb).
Homeless - homeless services focus on early intervention, prevention and sustainable housing solutions.
Housing Need and Demand Assessment
The Housing Need and Demand Assessment (PDF 1.43mb) provides an evidence base to inform the Local Housing Strategy and Development Plan. It supports the following areas of housing policy and planning:
- Housing Supply Targets - these targets set out the amount and type of housing which needs to be delivered
- Stock management - to assist our understanding of the current and future demand for housing by size, type, tenure and location, to maximise the effectiveness of existing housing stock
- Housing investment - to inform future housing investment decisions
- Specialist Provision - to inform the provision and use of specialist housing and housing-related services to enable independent living for all
- Geographic distribution of land - to inform the spatial allocation of land through the Development Plan.
The North Ayrshire Housing Need & Demand Assessment 2016 has been assessed as 'robust & credible' by the Scottish Government's Centre for Housing Market Analysis.
Strategic Housing Investment Plan (SHIP)
Our Strategic Housing Investment Plan 2019 - 2024 (PDF – 445kb) (SHIP) sets out the affordable housing investment priorities within North Ayrshire, to help achieve the strategic outcomes in the Local Housing Strategy 2018 – 2022.
The plan is reviewed annually
Statement of Intent
The Council is committed to attracting funding for the benefit of local residents.
The Statement of Intent (PDF, 149kb) outlines how the Council intends to access funding through the Energy Company Obligation (ECO), Flexible Eligibility mechanism.