Home   Roads and travel   Cheaper transport for elderly or disabled people

Cheaper transport for elderly or disabled people


Concessionary travel through the National Entitlement Card (NEC) is available to permanent Scottish residents where one of the following applies:

What does it entitle me to?

Free bus travel across Scotland and reduced rate train travel throughout the Strathclyde Passenger Transport area.

People, aged 60 years of age and over, are entitled to rail concessions, during off peak times, in the Strathclyde area.

Disabled people are entitled to rail concessions, at any time, within the Strathclyde boundaries. People with a visual impairment will also qualify for free bus, rail and ferry travel across Scotland.

Restrictions on bus services

NEC can't be used on certain services, for example premium fare night buses and City Sightseeing Buses.

Who is responsible for the Concessionary Travel Scheme?

Transport Scotland runs the national concessionary travel scheme.

National entitlement cards for North Ayrshire residents are provided by Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT).

How do I apply?

Applying on the basis of age or if you are disabled

If you are aged 60 years and over, or disabled contact the SPT Travel Centre.

You can apply in person at main Post Offices, but services vary at local branches. Please check directly with your Post Office.

Forms and help with application is available for Isle of Arran residents at the Council Local Office in Lamlash, KA24 8JY.

You can also complete an online application form and return it by email or post to:


Concessionary Travel Card Unit, 
Buchanan Bus Station, 
10 Killermont Street, Glasgow, 
G2 3NW 

Please note: the card issue process has a 4 week turnaround. You must ensure you are eligible before submitting an application.

For more information on the National Entitlement Card visit the NEC website and the Transport Scotland website

Travelling companion

If you are registered blind or disabled, and require someone to accompany you while travelling on bus services, you can apply for a companion entitlement to be added to your card. You will need to provide evidence. This may be an award notice letter from the Department of Work and Pensions or a copy of your blind registration certificate. 


Aged 60 and over

Renewals are issued automatically by SPT.

Disabled persons

SPT will write to you, before the expiry date on your card, to request proof of your continued entitlement. If you don't hear from them you should contact your SPT Travel Centre.

If you move address, you must contact SPT to let them know.

Replacement cards

If your card is lost, stolen, or damaged, you should contact the SPT Travel Centre.