Home   Education and learning   Young Scot and the National Entitlement Card

Young Scot and the National Entitlement Card (NEC)

Young Scot is the national youth information and citizenship charity for Scotland. They provide 11 to 26 years olds with information, ideas and incentives to help them become confident, informed and active citizens.

Young Scot seeks the views of young people in order to shape their services. They run national youth consultations on behalf of other organisations, on issues such as alcohol, climate change, and substance misuse.

National Entitlement Card (NEC)

This free electronic smart card gives you access to council services, concessionary travel, discounts and special offers and can be used as proof of age. Ask for the Young Scot logo to be included on your OneScotland National Entitlement card in your application.

In North Ayrshire you can use your card:

  • as a catering card in secondary school and some primary school dining halls
  • to access our library service
  • to get concessionary travel – 1/3 off single bus and rail fares and if you live on Arran or Cumbrae, you can get 2 free return journeys to the mainland every year (for full time volunteers aged 19 to 25 years and young people aged 16 to 18 years). To ask about the travel scheme, email Transport Scotland or call 0141 272 7170.
  • to get Young Scot discounts and special offers in over 1,500 shops and services across Scotland and 80,000 across Europe
  • as proof of age

How can I get a NEC?

Moving to S1

Every P7 child in North Ayrshire will receive a form in Spring. The information on this form must be checked, changed if necessary, signed on behalf of any pupils under the age of 12 and returned to your school by the specified date.

Pictures for the card will be taken at primary school and the finished card will be sent to the pupil's home address in time for starting secondary school.

Not in P7? Apply, renew or replace

Apply for a first, renewed or replacement card.

Two types of proof of ID, should be taken to a local validation point:

  • Council Offices in Irvine, Arran, Cumbrae, Largs and Saltcoats.

We accept the following proof of ID:

  • Proof of age: Birth Certificate, Passport, photo driving licence, Adoption Certificate, Marriage Certificate, PASS hologrammed card
  • Proof of address: letter from school/university/etc., bank statement, photo driving licence, Council Tax bill, Benefit book, council rent card, recent utility bill or recent mortgage statement
  • Photographic evidence: passport, photo driving licence, PASS hologrammed card

Top up a card

  • top up online - you'll need your 10 digit reference number 
  • use 'top-up' machines in your school - you'll need your 4 digit PIN (ask your school catering staff if you don't know what this is).

Rules & regulations

You're the only person allowed to use your NEC. It's not transferable. Allowing someone else to use it is fraud. This may lead to the card being cancelled and your entitlements withdrawn.