If your child doesn't qualify for free school transport but there's space left on one of your school's dedicated contracts, you can apply for a 'privilege seat' to travel on the dedicated contract free of charge.
How to apply
Complete our Free School Transport form.
You should apply before 20 September. You need to apply each year. We'll allocate any available seats as soon as possible after the 20 September.
The provision of a privilege seat will stop at the end of the school year, or earlier if an entitled child requires the seat.
If we get more applications than the number of seats available, we will prioritise as follows:
- Other children living within the catchment area but furthest from the school.
- If we can only offer 1 seat and there are 2 or more children living at the same address, we will offer the 1 available place. Parents should accept or decline on behalf of 1 child. If declined, we'll offer the seat to the child in the next address furthest from the school.
- Children in the catchment area who live less than 2 miles from their catchment primary, or less than 3 miles from the catchment secondary school.
- Children travelling to and from a catchment area address, that's not their home address. For example, a child minder or grandparent's house.
- Children living outside the catchment area, with a successful placing request.
Reallocation of seats
We may need to reallocate a privilege seat to a child entitled to free school transport. We'll reverse the above criteria to decide which child will lose their privilege seat.
- we can take away a privilege seat, at any time, if it's needed for an entitled child
- no extra pick up points or diversions from the route will be provided for privilege seat holders
- if a dedicated school bus breaks down, our contractors only have to provide a replacement bus which seats the entitled children. In this case, some privilege seats may no longer be available.
If you have any concerns or complaints about the provision of free school transport, please contact your child's school. Complaint details will be recorded and submitted online to SPT for investigation. Parent/carers may also complain to SPT in writing.