Transport needs are determined as part of an additional needs assessment and can be recommended by Education Service Managers, or Health and Social Care Partnership Managers.
How to apply
Discuss additional support needs with the Education Service Managers, or Health and Social Care Partnership Managers.
What we provide
After taking account of circumstances, the supplied mode of transport may be:
- a dedicated bus
- a bus pass on a local service bus (either commercial or subsidised service carrying members of the public)
- a train pass
- taxi or private hire, minibus and ferry
In certain circumstances, where best value for money can be demonstrated by parents/carers providing transport themselves, we may be able to reimburse mileage. This would cover one return journey per day (at the start and at the end of the normal school day)
What happens next?
You will receive written confirmation of arrangements.
Where transport is arranged from your home, the contractor will contact you for a briefing and emergency contact details. Please give them any information you think might be helpful in understanding specific needs.
Please note: If the service user does not require pre-arranged transport, e.g. through illness, you must notify the establishment that you originally applied to (e.g. school, social services) giving as much notice as possible. Contact the Transport Hub if you are unsure who to contact.
Safe and reliable
All our contracted drivers and escorts undergo a Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) and must wear photographic ID while conducting their contract.
For your peace of mind:
- no smoking is allowed in any vehicle when transporting service users
- all vehicles carry either a radio or mobile phone for emergency contact purposes
- all contractors hold a note of the service user's name, address, telephone number and emergency contact information in their vehicle
- all contract vehicles have seat belts for use
- special seating is provided where necessary
- contractors' vehicles must have the correct insurance
- all vehicles are inspected at our transport garage or are subject to a Ministry of Transport test approval
- all vehicles are liable to random inspections, by our specialist transport staff, to ensure they continue to meet standards of safety and reliability.
Comments or concerns
For a complaint or concern relating to the operational service provided for ASN transport e.g. conduct of driver/escort, timekeeping, changes of drivers, escorts and vehicles, parents/carers should email Corporate Transport Hub or phone on 01294 541613 in the first instance.