Any motor car, van, caravan, motor cycle or trailer which has apparently been left by its owner/most recent user, in the same location for some time is considered to be abandoned if it has:
- been left in the street, on open ground or at a garage site, the vehicle structure/glass has been damaged by vandalism (as opposed to damage caused by a road traffic accident)
- unsecured doors (the bonnet or boot may be open)
- been partially or fully burnt out.
Report an abandoned vehicle
It is an offence to abandon a vehicle.
You will need:
- the precise location of the vehicle
- the make, model, colour and, if available, registration number
- information, such as approximate length of time the vehicle has been at this location
- for caravans, trailers etc a description of the vehicle
Report abandoned vehicle
What happens next?
Abandoned vehicles will normally be removed from public places within 7 days. If the vehicle is considered to be a hazard to the public we will remove it within 24 hours.
Most abandoned vehicles are consigned to be scrapped. Very occasionally a vehicle may be sold at public auction.