Anyone can make a comment in support of, or object to, a planning application.
The deadline for submission of comments is usually 21 days from date of notification.
'National' or 'major' developments must go through a pre-application process, involving public consultation. Any representations, at this stage, should be made directly to the developer.
How to make a comment
Our Online Planning Information System (OPIS), allows you to:
- view the full application, drawings, and plans
- make a comment on a planning application
- view other comments
- receive email notifications about the application you have commented on.
Use the search facility to find the application you wish to comment on. Click the 'make a comment' button on the planning application summary page.
Make a comment
Please note: you must login to make a comment. You can register on OPIS free of charge. Guide to registering on OPIS (PDF, 1.45mb).
Include your name and full postal address for acknowledgement.
The preferred method for making comments is to use our website if you are able to do so. Otherwise, please send your comments by post to the address below and quote the application reference number:
Irvine KA12 8EE
Personal information will be stored in accordance with the GDPR and Data Protection Act 2018.
It may take some time for your comments to appear online. However, whether or not your comments have been published, please be assured that the points you make will be considered before a decision is reached.
- if you make comments online, you will be sent an automatic acknowledgment to your email address
- if you send your comments by post, you will be sent an acknowledgement letter to your postal address
- your comments will be sent directly to the planning officer who is dealing with the application for their consideration
- your comments may be published online, usually before a decision is taken on the application. Publication of comments will not happen immediately, but will be added to the website as soon as possible. This is due to the large volume of correspondence we receive, which all needs to be checked before publication
- obscene or defamatory comments will not be published
- we will not publish your name or other personal details online, nor the identity of any other persons referred to in your comments
- please do not send your application comments to us by email
What you can comment on
Comments must relate to material considerations such as:
- compliance with the Local Development Plan
- impacts on surroundings
- planning and economic benefits
- availability of service
- overlooking/loss of privacy
- the potential for noise disturbance
- overshadowing/loss of light
- detrimental environmental impact
PAS (Planning Aid Scotland) is an independent charity which offers free, impartial and confidential planning advice, provided by staff and volunteers all of whom are chartered planners. Visit the PAS website for more information.
Comments relating to the following are examples of what cannot be taken into account:
- personal interests
- loss of property value
- obstruction of views
- the potential for disruption during construction
What happens next?
Comments are used in the decision making process. This is done under delegated authority by a member of planning staff, or by the Planning Committee.
Anyone who submits a comment will be informed of the planning decision. Please note: There is no legal right of appeal by a third party against the council's decision.