Anyone can make a comment in support of, or object to, a planning application.
The deadline for submission of comments is usually 21 days from date of notification.
'National' or 'major' developments must go through a pre-application process, involving public consultation. Any representations, at this stage, should be made directly to the developer.
How to make a comment
Our Online Planning Information System (OPIS), allows you to:
- view the full application, drawings, and plans
- make a comment on a planning application
- view other comments
- receive email notifications about the application you have commented on.
Use the search facility to find the application you wish to comment on. Click the 'make a comment' button on the planning application summary page.
Make a comment
Please note: you must login to make a comment. You can register free of charge. Guide to registering on OPIS (PDF, 1.45mb).
Include your name and full postal address for acknowledgement.
Comments will be published, on OPIS, with the name of the commenter. Anonymous comments will not be published, but will be taken into account. Obscene or defamatory comments will not be published.
What you can comment on
Comments must relate to material considerations such as:
- compliance with the Local Development Plan
- impacts on surroundings
- planning and economic benefits
- availability of service
- overlooking/loss of privacy
- the potential for noise disturbance
- overshadowing/loss of light
- detrimental environmental impact
Comments relating to the following are examples of what cannot be taken into account:
- personal interests
- loss of property value
- obstruction of views
- the potential for disruption during construction
What happens next?
Comments are used in the decision making process. This is done under delegated authority by a member of planning staff, or by the Planning Committee.
Anyone who submits a comment will be informed of the planning decision. Please note: There is no legal right of appeal by a third party against the council's decision.