Development Management - Privacy statement for e-planning
This privacy statement explains how we use any personal information we collect about you when you use the Council's Online Planning Information System (OPIS).
What information do we collect about you?
When determining a planning or related application, North Ayrshire Council receives personal information from; the application form, documents of support or objection, the applicant and interested parties. Personal information can include:
- contact information - name, address, email address, phone numbers
- your occupation
- information about your health
- expressed opinions or intentions in respect of a planning application
Publication and access to information
To comply with its statutory obligations, the Council must make public certain details relating to planning applications in the form of a public register. Regulations allow this information to be made available on the Internet. The Council is under a statutory obligation to publish, on its website, a list of planning applications. This includes the name and address of the applicant and, where an agent is acting for the applicant, the name and address of that agent.
The information provided in the Register should not be relied upon as a basis for purchasing property or other decisions which have financial or contractual implications. A full property enquiry should always be made in such circumstances.
Information for applicants and agents
The Council will publish, on its website, a copy of your completed application form and relevant supporting documents and drawings. This will include your name and address and, where an agent is acting for you, the name and address of that agent. To protect personal data from unnecessary disclosure, the Council will remove phone numbers, email address and signature from the information that may be viewed via the website. Any sensitive personal data such as information about your health will also be removed before publication.
Information for consultees and objectors
The Council may publish your comments on its website and this may include your name and address. To protect personal data from unnecessary disclosure, the Council will remove phone numbers, email address and signature from the information that may be viewed via the website. The Council will not publish defamatory or obscene comments.
If an appeal against the application is submitted to the Scottish Government's Directorate of Planning and Environmental Appeals, they will also publish your comments on the internet.
The Council will process personal data in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and will:
- only use the information for the purposes of dealing with and considering the application
- only publish the information on the website for a maximum of 3 months after the date on which a decision notice is issued.
If an appeal/review is lodged within the relevant period the application documents may be made available on the website again.
- Only provide personal information if you are happy for it to be placed in the public domain, including publication on the internet
- Do not include personal information about another person (including family members) unless the individual concerned has consented and you can provide evidence of this consent
- Tell us as soon as possible if any of the personal information you have provided should change
Access to your personal data
Data Protection Officer
North Ayrshire Council
Information Commissioner's Office – Scotland
93 - 95 Hanover Street
Websites which are accessible through links to "related sites" from the OPIS are not covered by this privacy statement. When linking to other websites you should read their own privacy policies.