Home   Contact us   Complaints and feedback   Complaint review

Before continuing…

There are some things you cannot raise as complaints so please take a moment to consider these below.

Outdated complaints

You can’t make a complaint about something that happened six months ago or longer. This includes if you just found out that you have a reason to complain.

Requesting a service, reporting a fault or giving general feedback

A first-time request for a service is not a complaint as the Council is being made aware of the issue for the first time. Typical requests would include things like:

Raising queries, making observations or providing feedback are also not considered complaints.

If you would like to request a service, report a fault or contact us about something that is not listed above, you can do this by visiting our Contact us, A-Z listing and general enquiries pages.

Information Rights complaints and requests for information

Complaints about data protection, UK GDPR, Freedom of Information and Subject Access Requests are different from standard complaints as they follow different processes. See our Data Protection and Freedom of Information pages for more details.

Requests for compensation

Compensation claims cannot be handled as complaints and this includes matters that are in the hands of the Council’s insurer. If you believe that we are at fault for something and wish to make an insurance claim see our Make a claim page for more details.

Complaints about antisocial behaviour

Complaints about antisocial behaviour should be referred in the first instance to the Council’s Anti-Social Behaviour Investigation Team (ASBIT).

Contact ASBIT

Email the Anti-Social Behaviour Investigation Team or telephone them on 01294 314640.


Antisocial Behaviour Investigation Team,
North Ayrshire Council,
Galt House,
31 Bank Street,
Irvine KA12 0LL

For further information on what the team does visit our Antisocial behaviour page.

Other issues

You also can’t raise complaints regarding any of the following:

  • issues that are in court or have already been heard by a court or a tribunal
  • a disagreement with a decision where a statutory right of appeal exists - such matters should be progressed through the relevant appeal route. For example, appeals relating to Council Tax, Council Tax Reduction and Non Domestic Rates (where there are no administrative or arithmetic errors) should be referred to the Local Taxation Chamber. For concerns relating to planning reviews and appeals, visit the Council's Planning page for more information
  • an attempt to re-open a previously concluded complaint or have a complaint reconsidered where the Council has already provided its Stage Two response
  • a concern about a child or an adult’s safety (visit our Adult support and protection page for more information)
  • abuse or unsubstantiated allegations about the Council or its employees (the Council may consider such correspondence under its Unacceptable Contact Policy)
  • a concern about the actions of a separate organisation (except where the other organisation is delivering services on our behalf)
  • a grievance by a Council employee, including grievances relating to employment or recruitment

Next steps

Please ensure you have read the above before continuing. If you still believe the matter you want to contact us about is a complaint, then you can:

make a complaint online 

If you do not want to raise your complaint online there are other ways you can raise your complaint with us:


Contact Centre: 01294 310000


By contacting the relevant department directly (see our Contact Us and our A to Z listing pages).

In Writing

Write directly to the relevant department using the address below:

Cunninghame House,
Irvine, KA12 8EE

Complaints specifically about Social Work should be addressed to:

Health and Social Care Partnership Complaints Department,
5th Floor West, Cunninghame House,
Irvine, KA12 8EE

In person

At any of our public facing offices:


Arran Local Office
Clauchlands Road
Lamlash KA27 8JY


Customer Service Centre
Bridgegate House
Irvine KA12 8BD


Brooksby Medical & Resource Centre
31 Brisbane Road
Largs KA30 8LH


The Town Hall
Countess Street
Saltcoats KA21 5HW

Opening Times

Monday to Thursday: 9.00am to 4.45pm
Friday: 9.00am to 4.30pm
Closed on public holidays.