Home   Your community   Community safety   Antisocial behaviour

Antisocial behaviour

Nuisance and threatening behaviour

We provide help to residents who are victims of antisocial behaviour, harassment and noise and nuisance as defined below:

  • Antisocial behaviour is behaviour which harms the quality of life of residents, and causes, or is likely to cause, distress or alarm to anyone not in the same household. It includes threats, drug dealing, theft and vandalism.
  • Harassment is the deliberate interference with the peace, comfort or safety of any person. Harassing anyone on grounds of race, colour, religious or other belief, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, nationality or ethnic origin is a breach of your Tenancy Agreement and can be a criminal offence. This includes graffiti, damage to property, abuse and threats.
  • Noise and nuisance: Tenants must not cause nuisance to their neighbours. Nuisance includes persistent noise which causes distress to others, eg music, dogs, cars, etc.
  • Support for victims: The Home Security Project is available to anyone living in North Ayrshire who is suffering from domestic abuse or continual and persistent antisocial behaviour. The Home Security coordinator will visit you in your home and carry out an assessment to see if your home can be made more secure or arrange extra support from specialist agencies.

Taking action against antisocial behaviour and harassment

If antisocial behaviour or harassment affects you, contact the police or get in touch with us.

Our specialist team can help. We need details of the problem, so keep a diary of events. You can take private action against the person but you will need to contact a solicitor to do this. Tenants are responsible for the behaviour of the members of their household, including visitors. When you sign your Tenancy Agreement, you agree to behave in a responsible way in and around your home. If a problem involves a breach of the Tenancy Agreement, we can take legal action.

If the problem is with a private household, contact our investigation team for advice. You can also get advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau or a solicitor.

For advice about deliberate fire setting please see the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service website.

Home Security Project

The Home Security Project was set up to help support people who are suffering from domestic abuse or serious and persistent antisocial behaviour. The project aims to make people feel safer in their home. This is done in two ways 

  • adding extra security measures like: locks, peep holes, panic alarms
  • arranging support from specialist agencies.

How can I get help from the project?

The project is available to everyone living in the North Ayrshire Council area. If you are a tenant of ours or a housing association tenant, Ask your local Housing Office to refer you to the project.

You can also contact one of the following agencies.

Women’s Aid: 01294 602424

Victim Support: 01294 277040

Police Scotland: 101

What can the Home Security Project do for me?

The project will give you access to the following:

A project co-ordinator who is trained in assessing risk, preventing crime, and dealing with domestic abuse and antisocial behaviour

  • Home visits
  • Improved security measures for your home
  • Advice and support
  • Support from other agencies
  • Continuous assessment of your support needs

Improved security measures for your home can include:

  • Security chains
  • Peep holes
  • Slip bolts
  • Security lights
  • Patio-door bolts
  • Window locks
  • Personal attack alarms
  • Monitored panic alarms

How does the project work?

Once you are referred to and accepted by the project, the project co-ordinator will write to or phone you to arrange a home visit. During this visit the co-ordinator will ask you certain questions to find out how best to help you. A survey will also be carried out on your home to assess what
security improvements you need.

The co-ordinator will be able to refer your case to other support agencies, depending on your circumstances. For example, you could be referred to:
• the Antisocial Behaviour Investigation Team;
• Women’s Aid;
• Victim Support;
• Police Scotland; or
• other appropriate services.

If you are a tenant of a housing association or private landlord, we will need to get permission from your landlord before we make any improvements to your home.

Action against noise nuisance


Noise can travel between floors and walls in adjoining properties. Sometimes tenants don't realise how much noise is heard elsewhere in the building. Try to explain the problem, politely, to your neighbour. If the situation does not improve, contact us for advice. We will intervene if the situation is not resolved. 


The Tenancy Agreement requires tenants to be considerate to neighbours and keep animals under control. If you are troubled by dogs contact the Dog Warden.

Ways to avoid noise nuisance

To avoid causing a nuisance:

  • control the volume of sound from radios, stereos, TVs - do not put these systems against shared walls, place them on a rubber mat or carpet
  • keep the noise you make around your home at reasonable levels - do housework, decorating and home improvements at reasonable times of the day
  • warn neighbours when you are going to do something noisy (drilling, hammering, having a party)
  • if you have a dog, don't leave it barking constantly in the home or garden, and always clear up its mess
  • think about how children playing outside might affect neighbours

Contact Antisocial Behaviour Investigation Team




01294 314640


Antisocial Behaviour Investigation Team, North Ayrshire Council, Galt House, 31 Bank Street, Irvine KA12 0LL

Is this page useful?