Trade and Commercial Waste is the responsibility of the trader or commercial operator producing the waste and cannot be deposited at Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRC). To help to control this, we have introduced height barriers and a household waste tip permit scheme.
Household waste tip permit
Permits are free to householders disposing of small quantities of bulky household waste, or to access reuse and recycling facilities. They are valid for 12 months and allow up to 12 visits.
Please, contact us to discuss more frequent use.
Please note: HWRCs are for household waste only. Site staff have the right to refuse entry to the site if the waste you are carrying is trade or commercial waste. North Ayrshire Council reserves the right to investigate site usage and, if necessary, withdraw a permit.
Automatic Number Plate Recognition monitors operate at all of our HWRCs to deter illegal use.
Do I need a permit?
Vehicles that don't require a permit
- car, estate car, people carrier
- 4x4 less than 6’3” (1.9m) in height
Please note: if you have a roof rack, or box, fitted which causes any of the above vehicles to exceed the height restriction, you do not require a permit but please contact us to apply for an exemption before accessing any of the Household Waste and Recycling Centres.
Vehicles that do require a permit
- car, van or pick-up with single axle trailer
- mini-bus (8-11 seats)
Vehicles not allowed on site
- a vehicle with more than 4 wheels
- a vehicle over 3500kg gross weight
- a tipper
- a vehicle with a twin axle trailer
- a vehicle or pedestrian carrying commercial waste
Apply for a permit
Complete and return a
with photocopies of your supporting documents. You can apply, in person, at the following:
- Customer Service Centre, Bridgegate House, Irvine KA12 8BD
- The Town Hall, Countess Street, Saltcoats, KA21 5HW
- Brooksby Medical & Resource Centre, 31 Brisbane Road, Largs, KA30 8LH
Please see our user guide (PDF, 961kb).