Council Tax runs from 1 April each year to the 31 March the following year. Instalments are payable over 10 months from April to January.
Our payment date is on, or before, the 15th of each month. If you pay by Direct Debit you can choose from 3 payment dates (1st, 15th or 28th).
How to pay
By Direct Debit
You'll need your:
- Council Tax Reference number
- bank, or building society, account number and sort code
You'll receive a confirmation letter within 3 working days of setting up your Direct Debit instruction.
All payments are covered by the Direct Debit guarantee (Word, 28kb).
You'll need your Council Tax Reference number.
- Visa Delta
- Visa Electron
You'll need your Council Tax Reference number and your debit or credit card details. We accept the cards listed above.
Call our automated payment service (available 24/7) on 0845 603 0593, or 01294 310000 during office hours.
Instruct your bank, or building society, to set up a standing order for the monthly instalment detailed on your most recent Council Tax bill. Make sure the bank quotes the Council Tax Reference number printed on your bill.
Payments should be credited to:
Bank: Clydesdale Bank, 151 High Street, Irvine, KA12 8AB
Sort Code: 82-65-22
Account Name: North Ayrshire Council, Cunninghame House, Irvine
Account No.: 80443663
Cheques, or postal orders, made payable to 'North Ayrshire Council'. Write your Council Tax Reference number and the financial year you're paying for on the back of the cheque or postal order. Address payment to:
North Ayrshire Council
Council Tax Section
PO Box 7964
Irvine KA12 8LS
Don't send cash or your payment card through the post.
To pay by cash take your bill and payment to any:
- North Ayrshire Council collection office
- Post Office (cash, debit card or cheque, payable to 'Post Office Ltd').
- Paypoint or Payzone outlet (PayPoint outlets only accept cash)
Use the barcode printed on the top left of your bill. There is no charge for this service.
Pay at the following council offices during normal working hours:
- The Town Hall, Countess Street, Saltcoats
- Council Office, Clauchlands Road, Lamlash, Arran
- Garrison House, Millport, Isle of Cumbrae
- Housing Office, 2 Townend Street, Dalry
- Bridgegate House, Bridgegate, Irvine
- Housing Office, 24/26 Main Street, Kilbirnie
- Housing Office, 32/34 Howgate, Kilwinning
- Brooksby Medical and Resource Centre, 31 Brisbane Road, Largs
Who should pay?
Residents of a property, whether privately owned or rented, are generally liable to pay Council Tax. Empty properties are the responsibility of the non-resident owners or tenants.
The following residents are jointly liable to pay Council Tax:
- residents who are married or living with a partner
- residents who are joint owners or tenants
If a student is living with a non-student partner, the student cannot be held jointly liable for Council Tax charges.
If you think that you are not liable to pay Council Tax, or that a mistake has been made in calculating your bill, you can appeal. Notify us, in writing, within 28 days of receiving your bill.