Home   Council Tax   Council Tax Reduction Scheme

Council Tax Reduction Scheme

Council Tax Reduction Scheme (CTRS) helps people on a low income pay all, or part, of their Council Tax. CTRS doesn't cover water and sewerage charges, you must pay these yourself.

Can I get Council Tax Reduction?

To qualify for Council Tax Reduction, you must:

  • be on a low income
  • be the person responsible for paying the Council Tax

Find out if you're responsible for paying Council Tax on our Pay Council Tax page.

You can claim Council Tax Reduction whether you're working, unemployed, disabled, single, married or in a civil partnership.

Please note you may not be entitled to Council Tax Reduction if you:

  • have come to live in the UK from abroad
  • are a full time student
  • live in residential care or a nursing home
  • have savings over £16,000

How much help will I get?

How much benefit you get depends on your circumstances and how much Council Tax you're due to pay. Use this benefits calculator to see what help you can get.

From 1 April 2017

Legislation by the Scottish Government increases charges for properties in Bands E to H.

If your household income is below the following thresholds and are savings below £16,000, you are eligible to apply for a full exemption from the increased charge:

  • single adult, with no children, and net income of up to £16,750 (ie £321 per week)
  • all other households with net income of up to £25,000 (ie £479 per week).

If you are a low income household already in receipt of Council Tax Reduction you don't need to re-apply. Any reduction you are entitled to will be included in the Council Tax demand notice.

How to apply

Apply for Council Tax Reduction 

You'll need evidence to support your claim (PDF, 134kb).

Upload additional evidence

For any other information, you can contact us.

Please note:

  • if you're married, in a civil partnership or living with a partner, you can only make 1 claim for both of you
  • if you live with other people who share the cost of your rent and/or Council Tax, your claim will only be calculated on your share of the rent or Council Tax
  • if you're away from home for a period of time we may still be able to help.

We'll work out your Council Tax Reduction entitlement by looking at:

  • all the money you and your partner have coming in - earnings, benefits, tax credits, pensions
  • savings (PDF, 19kb) you and your partner have
  • your circumstances

Notification of Council Tax Reduction entitlement will appear on your Council Tax bill. To find out how the Council Tax Reduction has been calculated, telephone 01294 310000.

Change of Circumstances

You must notify the council immediately of any changes to your circumstances that may affect your entitlement to Council Tax Reduction, for example, if your income changes, if you increase or decrease your hours at work, or if someone moves into or out of your home.

Second adult rebate

If you don't get Council Tax Reduction because of your own income, but you live with an adult aged 18 or over who has a low income or is on Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance, and who doesn't pay you rent, you may qualify for Second Adult Rebate.

A 'second adult' can be:

  • an adult son or daughter
  • a relative
  • a friend
  • a certain type of carer

A 'second adult' cannot be:

  • a partner
  • a tenant/boarder
  • a joint tenant

You can only apply for this benefit if you don't qualify for a single person discount.

How to apply: complete a benefit application.

Requesting a review

If you are dissatisfied with the council's decision on your application for Council Tax Reduction you can request a review of our decision

Fair Processing Notice

The Council is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers. Thus, we may use the information you have provided for the prevention and detection of fraud. 

We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. 

Further Information

If you need more information on the National Fraud Initiative you can email the Corporate Fraud Team or call them on 01294 324228.

Contact Benefits


Email the Benefits Team


01294 310000


In writing:

North Ayrshire Council, Benefits Section, Cunninghame House, Irvine, KA12 8EE

In person:

  • Customer Service Centre, Bridgegate House, Irvine, KA12 8BD
  • The Town Hall, Countess Street, Saltcoats, KA21 5HW