Reduce, reuse or recycle materials which aren’t collected at the kerbside.
Clothes and textiles, wood and scrap, furniture and electrical goods can be recycled at your nearest collection point.
Tips to help reduce waste
- Repair it – Don’t throw away items that could be repaired.
- Purchase durable goods of quality rather than disposable items.
- Always use reusable cups and bottles.
- Shop sustainably to reduce packaging.
- Make a shopping list and only buy what you need.
- Use reusable bags.
- Buy what’s in season and help reduce transportation of supplies.
- Purchase loose items where available, such as tea, fruit, cereals etc. Try to avoid purchasing fruit or veg in plastic film.
- Buy large economy sized products instead of individually wrapped items. Avoid single-use cleaning products.
- Consider purchasing more environmentally friendly washing up liquids, powders and soaps with less packaging. Select products in refillable containers or concentrated products.
- Use real nappies instead of disposable ones.
- Try alternative wrapping products which are environmentally friendly and will reduce packaging waste.
- Try Upcycling.
- Consider home composting
Zero Waste Scotland and Recyclenow offer inspiration, information and alternatives.