When available, we offer FREE wood for North Ayrshire residents and North Ayrshire Council employees.
We use woodchip, or mulch, for landscaping, pathways and play areas.
We give away wood to avoid landfill costs and the environmental factors of sending excess wood to landfill. We believe there is an interest in this wood from members of the public who have enquired during tree works.
Pick up point
There is no free wood available at this time.
What to bring
Some shovels will be available to move wood chippings but you should bring:
- bags or boxes to hold wood chippings
- proof of North Ayrshire residency, eg drivers licence, utility bill, North Ayrshire Council employee ID
- only 2 vehicles at a time allowed into the site
- we may limit the amount of wood per person, at our discretion, for fairness or where we suspect collection is for business use
- wood must be taken as is and will not be cut on site by persons collecting nor site employees
Health and safety
- wear suitable clothing that you don't mind getting dirty or damaged
- consider suitable gloves to minimise skelves, cuts and abrasions
- consider wearing sturdy footwear
- consider safeguarding your vehicle with a protective covering to minimise damage to bodywork and interior
- take wood from the top of the pile and closest to you, to limit movement of the wood pile
- keep your feet on the ground, do not step on the wood or wood chip piles
- keep your back straight if bending
- carry one piece of wood at a time and hold it close to your body
Let us know what you think about this initiative using this feedback form.