Home   Benefits   Universal Credit   Universal Credit and Housing Costs

Universal Credit and Housing Costs

Apply for Universal Credit if you:

  • are aged between 18 and pension age
  • live in North Ayrshire
  • aren't living in supported, exempt accommodation

Universal Credits include any housing costs you are entitled to. You will need to make arrangements to pay your rent or you can choose for DWP to pay the Housing Element when making your application.

Paying your rent, on time and in full, is the most important part of your tenancy agreement. Contact your landlord to discuss payment options.

The Housing Element may be less than your rent charge and you may need to pay the difference (eg under occupancy).

You may be eligible for a Discretionary Housing Payment.

Help with paying your rent

  • Council tenants - contact the Welfare Reform Advice Team, telephone 0300 999 4606
  • Housing Association and private tenants - contact your landlord.

Turning pension age on Universal Credit

If you are on Universal Credit and you have reached pension age (single claim) or both you and your partner (joint claim) are pension age then your Universal Credit will stop. To receive help with your housing costs you must apply for Housing Benefit.

Paying your Council Tax

Please make sure that you have made arrangements to pay your Council Tax.

Contact Benefits


Email the Benefits Team


01294 310000


In writing:

North Ayrshire Council, Benefits Section, Cunninghame House, Irvine, KA12 8EE

In person:

  • Customer Service Centre, Bridgegate House, Irvine, KA12 8BD
  • The Town Hall, Countess Street, Saltcoats, KA21 5HW