Home   Benefits   Universal Credit   Apply for Universal Credit

Apply for Universal Credit

Claims for Universal Credit must be made online.

Before you start, gather together the following:

  • your email address to register with
  • your National Insurance number
  • details of the bank, building society or credit union account into which your Universal Credit will be paid (account number, sort code)
  • your rent agreement or tenancy agreement (if you have one)
  • details of any savings or other capital
  • details of any non-work income (e.g. from an insurance plan)
  • details of any other benefits you already receive
  • your partner's details, including income if a 'joint claim'
  • your children's details (if you have any)
  • details of childcare and costs (if you currently pay any)
  • details of anyone else who lives with you, including their income.

Remember: provide details of your rent when you apply for Universal Credit so that your housing costs are included in your claim. Contact your landlord if you don't know your rent charge details.

This short video explains Universal Credit in Action.

Apply for Universal Credit online

Once you've made a claim

The DWP Universal Credit Service Centre will telephone you to arrange an interview at your local Jobcentre. They will review your evidence and verify and approve your application. 

Your application will be sent to a DWP Universal Credit Service Centre for processing. The DWP will send you a Universal Credit decision letter.

Your journal

You will be given an online account to manage, known as a 'journal'. Please keep your login details and password secure. The DWP will tell you how and when to access your journal.

How will Universal Credit be paid?

If your application is successful, you'll receive your first Universal Credit payment about 5 weeks after submitting your claim. Universal Credit is paid 1 month in arrears into a valid bank, building society, post office or credit union account.

Council Tax Reduction

Universal Credit doesn't include any Council Tax Reductions you may be entitled to. Find out about our Council Tax Reduction Scheme.

Change of circumstances

If you have a change of circumstances (e.g. a partner or dependent child moves in, you start work, you move house) you must report this to the DWP:

  • telephone: 0800 328 5644 
  • textphone: 0345 600 0743

Post proof of your circumstances to:

Freepost RTEH – LGUJ- SZLG Universal Credit Post Handling Site B Wolverhampton WV99 1AJ