Universal Credit is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).
It is a benefit for people who are both in and out of work.
It aims to make the welfare system simpler by replacing 6 benefits and tax credits with one single payment.
As of 22 November 2017, this applies to the majority of working age people making new claims, including couples and families. The benefits replaced by Universal Credit are:
- Income Support
- income based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Housing Benefit
- income related Employment and Support Allowance
- Working Tax Credit
- Child Tax Credit
Find more information on the Government website.
Eligibility for Universal Credit
You can apply for Universal Credit if you:
- are aged between 18 and pension age
- live in North Ayrshire
- aren't living in supported, exempt accommodation
- have no more than 2 children
New claimants who do not fit these conditions, will not be accepted and, should contact DWP.
The DWP has 3 Jobcentres in North Ayrshire (Irvine, Kilbirnie and Saltcoats).
For information about eligibility, drop in to your local Jobcentre, or contact the Universal Credit helpline:
- telephone: 0800 328 9344 (for those who applied before 22 November 2017)
telephone: 0800 328 5644 (for who applied after 22 November 2017)
- textphone: 0345 600 0743