Open a bank account
You must have a bank, building society or credit union account before you can apply for Universal Credit. The Money Advice Service has advice about choosing a bank account.
North Ayrshire Council works in partnership with 1st Alliance Credit Union. To set up a credit union account, telephone 01294 557123 or visit their office at 147 Main Street, Kilwinning.
You will receive Universal Credit as a single monthly payment. On your application you can choose to receive your payments on a fortnightly basis instead. However, this will only apply after the first payment has been made.
You may need to change the way you budget, for example some payments, like rent, may be due fortnightly, for guidance in this visit the DWP website. Budgeting support teams are available to help you manage your Universal Credit payments. They can also refer you to support agencies if you are having issues with debt.
For help with budgeting or debt advice:
- North Ayrshire Council Tenant - budgeting support from our Welfare Reform Team call 0300 999 4606 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cunninghame Housing Association Tenant - call 01294 468360 or email email@example.com
- Irvine Housing Association Tenant - call 0345 112 6600 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- ANCHO Tenant - call 01294 313121 or email email@example.com
- West of Scotland Tenant - call 0141 558 6336 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Landlord Tenant - call North Ayrshire Citizens Advice Service (NACAS) on 01294 467848 and get advice by email or,
call Community Housing Advocacy Project (CHAP) on 01294 475636
- Better Off North Ayrshire helps working age people improve their financial circumstances. If you are unemployed, on a low income, or a lone parent call 01294 475629 or email email@example.com to make an appointment.