Home   Benefits   Universal Credit   Advance payment

Advance payment

If you think you will struggle financially, while waiting for your first Universal Credit payment, you may be entitled to an advance. The most you can get as an advance is the amount of your first estimated payment.

Please note that this payment can be repaid within the month or spread over up to 12 months.

Request an advance

Before you apply, make sure your Claimant Commitment has been signed at your local Jobcente.

To request an advance, call the Department of Work & Pensions (DWP) helpline on:

  • 0800 328 5644 

If your request is rejected

You may be entitled to apply for a crisis or community care grant from the Scottish Welfare Fund.