What is amenity housing?
Amenity housing is self-contained accommodation designed to meet the needs of people with an accessible housing need. It will have some or all of the following:
- no stairs inside (for example, a bungalow)
- raised electric sockets and lowered switches
- handrails in the bathroom
- lever handled taps
- slip resistant flooring in the kitchen and bathroom
What is sheltered housing?
Sheltered housing is self-contained accommodation designed for older people. It has all the features of amenity housing but in addition:
- properties are grouped together
- homes have a built in community alarm service
- there is a tenants' lounge
- there is a shared laundry
You must be 60 years of age, or over, to qualify for sheltered housing.
Sheltered housing units are available throughout North Ayrshire.
Apply for an amenity or sheltered house
Apply to the North Ayrshire Housing Register by filling in an application for housing. Select 'sheltered' or 'amenity' housing when you get to the relevant question on the form. If you have health issues that impact on the type of housing you need you also need to complete an accessible housing application.