All North Ayrshire Council employees undergo checks before starting work with us.
Candidates must provide satisfactory references before starting employment with the council.
Referees will be asked to complete and return 1 of the following:
For information on providing references please read: Important Information for Applicants (PDF,293kb).
At least 1 reference must be submitted before interview. Details of the Chairperson will be provided when you are invited for interview.
If you're invited to attend an interview, you'll need to complete, and bring with you, the following:
- Asylum & Immigration Check: all applicants must provide proof of eligibility to work in the UK.
Find out what documentation you need based on the Right to Work Checklist issued by the Home Office. Your original ID along with a photocopy will be required to be verified at the interview. Internal candidates won't be required to undergo this check.
- Protecting Vulnerable Groups Check: applicants who work with children or vulnerable adults will be asked to undergo a 'PVG Check'.
You will be required to bring in the relevant ID to process your PVG application. A list of the ID documents required is in our ID PVG guidance (Word, 24kb). Your original ID along with a photocopy will be required to be verified at the interview.
- References: at least 1 reference must be submitted before interview. Details of the Chairperson will be provided when you are invited for interview. All references must be returned directly to the Chairperson.
After your interview you'll receive an email advising you of the outcome.
If you're chosen as the 'Preferred Candidate', you must complete the following before a formal offer of employment can be made:
- Health Questionnaire: this information will be used to ensure we make any required reasonable adjustments before you start work.
Download the Health Questionnaire (PDF, 75kb) - all posts except drivers
Download Health questionnaire - drivers (PDF, 323kb)
- Protecting Vulnerable Groups Check:
The cost of this (£18 update, or £59 full check) will be deducted from your salary, as per terms and conditions. The PVG application form will be posted to you if you need to undergo this check. Your PVG Form should be returned to us.
- Disclosure check:
Applicants may be requested to undertake a basic, standard, or enhanced disclosure check. We will post the appropriate form to you if you require this check. The cost of the Disclosure Check (£25) will be deducted from your salary as per terms and conditions. Your Disclosure Form should be returned to us.
- Criminal Convictions Declaration
Failure to bring these documents can result in delay or affect the outcome of the recruitment decision.
What if I have a conviction?
Positions which involve a Standard disclosure, Enhanced disclosure check or a PVG scheme check will provide information subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exclusions and Exceptions) (Scotland) Amendment Order 2016. You are advised to check Schedules A1 and B1 to review the list of which offences must always be disclosed and which are to be disclosed subject to rules under the Scottish Government website and the relevant legislation.
Please see our Recruitment of ex-offenders policy (PDF, 298kb).
If you're successful in securing a supply position, the council will make a formal offer of employment. This offer will provide a link to your contract and to a number of forms. You'll be required to read, complete and sign the relevant documents:
- Criminal Convictions Declaration
- Employment Reference Request Form - Teaching (Word, 88kb)
- RC Approval Form A – Teacher's Statement (Word, 64kb)
RC Approval Form B – Referee's Statement (Word, 44kb) - for guidance on filling in a RC Approval Form, see the Scottish Catholic Education Service.
- Employee Bank details form (PDF, 83kb)
- Health Questionnaire (PDF, 75kb)
- Confirmation of Salary Point (Word, 47kb)
Before taking up a supply position, please read the SNCT Code of Practice on Short Term Supply.
For information on documents to be read or submitted before starting work at North Ayrshire Council, visit our Starting work with us page.