Home   Business   Licences and permits   Business licences   Second hand dealer licences

Second hand dealer licences 

You will need this type of licence if you are carrying on the business as a dealer in certain types of second hand goods. If you are selling metal or knives you might need a metal dealer's or knife dealer's licence too. Contact us for more advice.

You need a Second Hand Motor Vehicle Licence to deal in second hand motor vehicles, vehicle parts or accessories.

You need a Second Hand Dealer's Licence to sell second hand:

  • cycles
  • antiques
  • electrical goods - including domestic appliances, television, video, radio, audio and amplifying and public address equipment
  • photographic equipment
  • sports equipment
  • musical instruments and equipment
  • jewellery
  • pictures and objects d'art
  • office furniture and equipment - including computers, word processors, typewriters and associated software and accessories
  • items of plant and industrial machinery and equipment
  • mobile phones, computer games, computer games consoles and DVDs

A Second-hand Dealer's Licence is not required for:

  • a pawnbroker
  • a business as a wholesale dealer purchasing exclusively from licensed second hand dealers
  • a charity entered in the Scottish Charity Register
  • a dealer in second-hand goods or articles incidental to another business not a dealer in such goods or articles
  • a business either of financing the acquisition of goods by means of hire-purchase agreements, conditional sale agreements or credit sale agreements or of financing the use of goods by means of hiring agreements

How to apply

To apply for a Second Hand Dealer’s Licence, complete and return a Second Hand Dealer's application (Word, 223kb).

To apply for a Second Hand Motor Vehicle Dealer’s Licence complete and return a Second Hand Motor Vehicle Dealer application pack (Word, 113kb).


All fees can be found on our licence fees webpage.

Please include the fee with your completed application form. Cheques made payable to 'North Ayrshire Council'. If your applications is refused or granted for a shorter period than you applied, the fee will not be refunded or reduced.

What happens next?

We'll consult with Police Scotland and council departments. Your application will be advertised on this website to allow members of the public to make any objections or representations.

If there is any comment from the public, Police Scotland or any council department, you will be told and your application will be referred to the Licensing Committee for a decision. If the Committee decides to have a hearing, you will be invited to that and you will be able to speak to the Committee. The majority of applications do not require a hearing and are granted by council officers.

It may take up to 8 weeks to process your application. If you haven't heard from the Licensing Office within a reasonable period please contact us.

How long does the licence last?

If granted, your licence will last for 3 years from the date of issue and can be renewed.

If you already hold a licence and you apply again to renew it before it expires, the licence continues even after expiry, until North Ayrshire Council make a decision on the renewal.

Does the licence have any conditions?

The licence will have the council's Standard Conditions. In some cases the council may apply special conditions appropriate to your particular circumstances.

Any conditions which apply to you will be set out in the licence document you will be given. If these are broken, then the licence holder can be charged by Police Scotland and the Licensing Committee can suspend the licence after a hearing. You will be invited to such a hearing and will be able to speak to the committee.

Please note: We follow National Fraud Initiative guidelines to protect against fraud.

Contact Licensing




01294 310000


Licensing Section, Legal Services, North Ayrshire Council, Cunninghame House, Irvine, KA12 8EE