Home   Business   Licences and permits   Business licences   Metal dealer's licences

Metal dealer's licences

To deal in metal, including gold and silver, you'll need a licence. There are 2 sorts of Metal Dealer's Licence:

  1. Metal Dealer: if you trade from premises (such as a shop or office), you need a separate Licence for each site.
  2. Itinerant Metal Dealer: if you travel from place to place to deal in any scrap metal but have no premises you need this Licence. It covers the whole of Scotland, not just North Ayrshire.

How to apply

Before applying, please read our Tax Rules for Licences (PDF, 137kb).

Complete an application form and return it to Licensing:


All fees can be found on our licence fees webpage.

Please include the fee with your completed application form. Cheques made payable to 'North Ayrshire Council'. If your application is refused, or granted for a shorter period than you applied, the fee will not be refunded or reduced.

What happens next?

When we have received your application and fee:

  • your application will be advertised on this website to allow members of the public to make any objections or representations
  • we'll consult with Police Scotland and council departments
  • you will have to display a 'notice for display' at or near the Premises (if appropriate), so that the public can see what you want

If there are no objections or representations, and if your application is within the council's policy, the application can be granted under 'delegated powers'. This means that the decision to grant the Licence is made by an Officer with Delegated Powers, rather than wait for the next Licensing Committee meeting.

If there is any adverse comment, the application must be referred to a Hearing of the Committee. You will be told about the hearing and will be able to make representations in favour of your application.

How long does the licence last?

If granted, both of these licences last 3 years from the date of issue, unless the Committee decides on a shorter period. Your licence will state the date it expires. If you apply for renewal before then, you can continue trading (even after that date) for as long as it takes for the Council to deal with your renewal.

Does the licence have any conditions?

The licence will have the council's Standard Conditions. In some cases the council may apply special conditions appropriate to your particular circumstances.

Any conditions which apply to you will be set out in the licence document you will be given. If these are broken, then the licence holder can be charged by Police Scotland and the Licensing Committee can suspend the licence after a hearing. You will be invited to such a hearing and will be able to speak to the Committee.

Please note: We follow National Fraud Initiative guidelines to protect against fraud.

Contact Licensing




01294 310000


Licensing Section, Legal Services, North Ayrshire Council, Cunninghame House, Irvine, KA12 8EE