Home   Benefits   Overpayments


What is an overpayment?

An overpayment is when you've been paid more Housing Benefit than you're entitled to. This usually happens when you don't tell us about changes in your circumstances as soon as they happen.

What happens if I receive an overpayment?

We'll write to you about an overpayment.

Please note: it's your responsibility to tell us straight away if your circumstances change. Don't rely on anyone else to tell us.

Complete and return a Change in Circumstances form (Word, 68kb)

How we recover overpayments

For Housing Benefit, we can recover an overpayment by:

  • deductions from ongoing award of Housing Benefit
  • reducing amounts paid to a landlord or agent
  • deductions from any Housing Benefit owed to you for a past period
  • deductions from certain Social Security Benefits
  • recovery from a deceased person's estate
  • sending an invoice, which you can pay online.

For more information please read our Overpayment Recovery Policy (PDF, 404kb).

Problems paying?

If you're having difficulty making the payments in full, we may be able to arrange for you to pay by instalments. Telephone our Debt Recovery Team on 01294 310103 to arrange.

Overpayments must be paid back.

Our Debt Recovery Team works in partnership with Stirling Park, Sheriff Officers to maximise collection of unpaid debt.

Contact Benefits




01294 310000


In writing:

North Ayrshire Council, Benefits Section, Bridgegate House, Irvine, KA12 8LS

In person:

  • Customer Service Centre, Bridgegate House, Irvine, KA12 8BD
  • The Town Hall, Countess Street, Saltcoats, KA21 5HW