Home   Benefits   Changes that affect my benefits

Changes that affect my benefits

Tell us

If your circumstances change, your Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction and Discretionary Housing Payment may change too. You must tell us about any changes in your personal and financial circumstances that might affect your benefit.

Inform us of a Change in Circumstances

Please note if you don’t tell us about a change in your circumstances we may:

  • reduce your benefit entitlement
  • stop your benefit
  • recover any overpayments you may be liable to repay
  • prosecute you

What changes should I tell you about?

Change of address

Tell us about a change of address

Turning pension age on Universal Credit

If you are on Universal Credit and you have reached pension age (single claim) or both you and your partner (joint claim) are pension age then your Universal Credit will stop. To receive help with your housing costs you must apply for Housing Benefit.

Other changes

People of Working Age or Pension Age who don’t receive Pension Credit must tell us of the following changes.

Household changes:

  • any of your children leave school, start work or start receiving Jobseeker's Allowance
  • anyone comes to live with you or anyone leaves (including lodgers or tenants)
  • your student child who normally studies away from home returns during the holiday period
  • you or your partner go into hospital
  • someone living with you stops or starts to get Jobseeker's Allowance or starts work
  • you stop or start caring for a disabled person

Going abroad:

  • you and/or your partner leave the country - tell us before you go and as soon as you get back

Income changes:

  • you start or stop getting Child Benefit, Jobseeker's Allowance or any other state benefit
  • any change in your income or savings

Accommodation changes:

  • your rent goes up or down
  • you change your accommodation - even if it’s to another room in the same house

Other changes:

  • Disability Living Allowance mobility or care stops, starts or changes
  • Personal Independence Payment stops, starts or changes
  • you received benefit as a student and your course finishes

People of Pension Age who receive Pension Credit must tell us of the following changes.

If you receive the guaranteed part of Pension Credit, you must tell us if:

  • a partner moves in or out
  • you or your partner go into hospital or residential care
  • anyone else comes to live with you
  • your rent or tenancy details change

If you receive the savings part of Pension Credit, you must also tell us if:

  • you have savings over £16,000
  • you’re away from home for more than 13 weeks

Can I get an extended payment period?

Extended payments are Housing Benefit payments which are made up to four weeks after you or your partner start work or increase your hours or earnings, and as a result, are no longer entitled to certain benefits.

You may be eligible to receive an extended payment period on your Housing Benefit if you or your partner:

  • are under 60 years of age
  • expect your new work or your increased hours to last for at least five weeks

And because of your increased wages, you must stop receiving one of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance (if received for a continuous period of 26 weeks or more)
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Severe Disablement Allowance

We’ll check whether you’re entitled to an extended payment as part of our normal change of circumstance procedures.

We’ll also consider whether you’re still entitled to Housing Benefit based on your new circumstances.

If you meet the above conditions, we’ll automatically amend your benefit claim to continue up to four weeks from the Monday after your last claimed benefit stopped. Your benefit will be paid at the same rate you currently receive.

Contact Benefits


Email the Benefits Team


01294 310000


In writing:

North Ayrshire Council, Benefits Section, Cunninghame House, Irvine, KA12 8EE

In person:

  • Customer Service Centre, Bridgegate House, Irvine, KA12 8BD
  • The Town Hall, Countess Street, Saltcoats, KA21 5HW