Home   Benefits   Benefit cap

Benefit cap

If you are part of a working age household, the maximum weekly amount of benefit paid is limited to:

  • £423.46 for a lone parent, couple or family
  • £283.71 for a single person

Housing Benefit reduction

The UK Government states that if the benefits cap applies to your household, the council must deduct the excess from your weekly Housing Benefit payments. This may mean that you'll need to pay more rent. This could apply to tenants who have never paid rent before. The council will issue Housing Benefit decision letters to advise of the reduced award.

Universal Credit

If you qualify for Universal Credit, deductions due to the cap will be made from that payment by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). The DWP will contact you before the cap is applied to your benefit. Call the DWP if you need help with the Benefits Cap: 0345 600 0723.

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP)

If you get Housing Benefit or Universal Credit and are having difficulty paying your rent, you may be eligible for Discretionary Housing Payments.

Benefits excluded from the cap

This cap does not apply if anyone in your household is claiming:

  • Adult/Child Disability Payment
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payments
  • Employment Support Allowance support component
  • Industrial Injuries Benefit
  • War Disablement Pension
  • Armed Forces Compensation Scheme Payments
  • War Widows/Widowers Pension
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Carers Allowance
  • Guardians Allowance

More information

Full details of the benefit cap are available from the UK Government website.

  • Council Tenants: email our Welfare Reform Team or call 0300 999 4606
  • Housing Association Tenants: contact your Housing Association
  • Private Tenants: you should be contacted by the DWP. Please pay attention to this and contact the DWP for more information: 0800 328 5644.

Is this page useful?