Home   Benefits   Backdated benefit claims

Backdated benefit claims

Benefit is normally paid from the Monday following the date of claim. Backdated benefit is benefit paid to you for a period in the past when you were unable to claim because of certain personal circumstances.

Can I make a backdated claim?

If you want your benefit to be paid from an earlier date you must have good reason for not making a claim sooner. For example, if you:

  • were given the wrong advice by a council officer
  • were incapacitated
  • suffered a bereavement
  • were unable to manage your own affairs and didn't have an 'appointee'
  • have language or reading difficulties and had no one to make the claim on your behalf

How far back can benefit be paid?

Working age

If you're of working age, your benefit can be backdated up to one month from your date of request.

Pension age

If you're of pension age, your benefit can be backdated up to three months before the date of your claim.

Make a backdated claim

Working age

A request must be made using our

online benefit application form

or by letter to us.

Your request must explain why you didn't make a claim sooner. You must give us official supporting evidence, for example a doctor's letter, if you were ill.

Pension age

We will automatically look at whether your claim should be backdated as part of our claim process. You don't need to do anything. We may ask for additional supporting evidence.

Active claim

If you have an active claim and you would like to raise a backdate request you can use the backdate request form within 30 days from your date of claim:

make a backdate request

What happens next?

We'll make a decision to grant or refuse your request using:

  • the information you provided
  • any facts we have to support your claim

We'll send you a letter explaining reasons for our decision. If we refuse to backdate your claim we'll tell you about rights of appeal

Contact Benefits


Email the Benefits Team


01294 310000


In writing:

North Ayrshire Council, Benefits Section, Cunninghame House, Irvine, KA12 8EE

In person:

  • Customer Service Centre, Bridgegate House, Irvine, KA12 8BD
  • The Town Hall, Countess Street, Saltcoats, KA21 5HW