uses cookies which are essential for the site to work. We also use non-essential cookies to help us improve our websites. Any data collected is anonymised. By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about cookies

End a tenancy
Home   Housing   Information for tenants   Your tenancy   End a tenancy

End a tenancy

Give notice

To terminate your North Ayrshire Council Housing tenancy you should notify your Housing Office, in writing, giving 28 days notice, or complete and return a Termination of Tenancy form (PDF, 92kb).

Joint tenancies

If you have a joint tenancy, the other tenant can give notice at the same time, or change the tenancy to their name only. 

If you are married, your husband or wife must also give consent, in writing, before you can end your tenancy even if he or she is not a joint tenant. 

Property inspection

A Housing Officer will arrange to inspect the property. The date and time of the inspection will be confirmed by letter.


You will be informed, in writing, of any repairs you have to carry out. If you don't carry out repairs requested, you may be recharged.

Unwanted items

The Housing Officer may agree to you leaving carpets or blinds if we think the next tenant may wish them. This will be confirmed with you in writing. 

Before you leave

You must remove all of your furniture (including fridge/freezer), floor coverings, personal possessions and any rubbish. This includes items from the loft, outhouses or external storage areas.

Contact us to arrange a bulky waste collection. This should be done before you leave the property.

You will be charged removal costs for any items left in the property.

Please ensure that you:

  • leave the house clean (floors should be swept and washed), tidy and in good decorative condition
  • leave the garden tidy and free of rubbish, any structures erected in the garden should be removed
  • complete any repairs we have asked you to do
  • provide us with a forwarding address
  • let the Council Tax office know you are moving
  • read your gas and electricity meters and notify your supplier(s) of your forwarding address
  • notify the Post Office and your telephone company of your change of address
  • ensure any lodgers or sub-tenants leave with you
  • when you leave the property for the last time that property is secure

As per pages 87 & 88 of your tenant's handbook.Fixtures, fittings and appliances owned by the council should not be removed from the house. Please note: this includes any fittings that you have replaced.


All keys for the property, including any for storage spaces, verandas, access systems, and so on, should be handed in to your Housing office, in person, before 12 noon on a Monday. Another week's rent will be charged for keys not returned by this time.


If your tenancy is terminated due to a death, transfer of house or hospitalisation, keys must be handed in by close of business on a Monday, otherwise another week's rent will be charged.

Contact Housing



01294 310000


NAC Housing Services Facebook page


Housing offices

Staff training

Please note: Housing offices close from 1.30pm on the second Thursday of every month for staff training.