If you are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT) it can be very difficult getting information and knowing what support is available to you in North Ayrshire.
Some people are brought up to think that being heterosexual is the norm. Understandably, this can put LGBT people off talking about their true feelings and can have a huge impact on their self esteem and self worth.
In North Ayrshire there is localised support for young LGBT people, including:
- a private Facebook support page
- our Open Ayrshire groups, for 12 to18 year olds, where you can meet others, have some fun, and be yourself (if you want, you can bring a friend or family member for support)
To find out more, please email Damian Taylor: firstname.lastname@example.org
We've introduced an adult LGBT group to support anyone aged 18+. Email Euan Lees for details: email@example.com
For help or advice, these services provide lots of information and support outside of North Ayrshire. They are a great resource for you, your parents or anyone that would like to know more.
The Steve Retson Project
Based in Glasgow, the Steve Retson Project is a sexual health service for gay and bisexual men.
Based within the department of Genitourinary Medicine on the first floor of the Sandyford Initiative, the project offers full screening for sexually transmitted infections, HIV testing and counselling for all men who have sex with men.
- for an appointment, phone: 0141 211 8628
- for general enquiries, phone: 0141 211 8130
Terrence Higgins Trust Scotland
Terrence Higgins Trust (THT) Scotland is the largest HIV charity in Europe and provides services across Scotland, including Ayrshire and Arran.
They are the HIV and sexual health charity for life.
In Ayrshire, THT Scotland provide:
- services to gay and bisexual men
- support to the wider LGBT community and people who are HIV positive
- one to one support
- group work for LGBT people
- advocacy and support for people living with HIV
- training on HIV, homophobia, diversity and sexual health
For more details of these and other services offered by THT Scotland, please contact:
THT Scotland, 134 Douglas Street, Glasgow, G2 4HF: 0141 332 3838, firstname.lastname@example.org