If you are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT) it can be difficult getting information and knowing what support is available in North Ayrshire.
Some people are brought up to think that being heterosexual is the norm. Understandably, this can put LGBT people off talking about their true feelings and can have a huge impact on their self esteem and self worth.
In North Ayrshire there is localised support for young LGBT people, including:
- a private Facebook support page (search for Open Ayrshire)
- LGBT support groups across North Ayrshire for 12 to 18 year olds where you can meet others, have some fun and be yourself (you can bring a friend or family member for support). We have groups in the North Coast, Kilwinning, Garnock Valley and Irvine.
To find out more, please email the Youth Work Team.
These services provide lots of information and support outside of North Ayrshire. They are a great resource for you, your parents or anyone that would like to know more.
The Steve Retson Project
The Steve Retson Project is a sexual health service for gay and bisexual men, based in Glasgow. The project offers full screening for sexually transmitted infections, HIV testing and counselling for all men who have sex with men. Please phone:
- 0141 211 8628 to make and appointment
- 0141 211 8130 for enquiries
Terrence Higgins Trust Scotland
Terrence Higgins Trust (THT) Scotland is the largest HIV charity in Europe and provides services across Scotland. In Ayrshire, THT Scotland provides:
- services to gay and bisexual men
- support to the wider LGBT community and people who are HIV positive
- one to one support
- group work for LGBT people
- advocacy and support for people living with HIV
- training on HIV, homophobia, diversity and sexual health
For details of these and other services offered by THT Scotland, please contact:
THT Scotland, 134 Douglas Street, Glasgow, G2 4HF
phone: 0141 332 3838,