Home   Contact us   Complaints and feedback   Make a complaint

Make a complaint

Whilst North Ayrshire Council always seeks to deliver the best products and services to its residents, customers and visitors, it is recognised that dissatisfaction will sometimes occur and if something does go wrong it is important members of the public tell us so we can address the issue and identify any improvements as a result.

The Council defines a complaint as being an expression of dissatisfaction by a member of the public about the:

  • Council's actions, or lack of actions, in relation to something
  • standard of service provided by the Council, or by a 3rd party on its behalf

What can't I complain about?

There are some things members of the public cannot raise as complaints. These include:

  • making complaints outwith six months of the event you want to complain about (or finding out that you have a reason to complain)

First time requests for a service, such as:

  • requesting a housing repair, a new waste bin, reporting graffiti, vandalism, fly tipping, weeds or grass cutting
  • reporting faults like potholes, blocked drains or street lighting issues

If you wish to raise service requests or report faults, you can do this using the appropriate channel/link on the Council's website, including on the General enquiries page.

Queries including:

  • requests for information or explanations of council policies or procedures

Other issues, such as: 

  • information you wish us to supply under the Data Protection Act or Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act
  • a complaint about your information rights (including data protection, FOI and UK GDPR)
  • a request for compensation from the Council (including matters which are in the hands of the Council’s insurers)
  • issues that are in court or have already been heard by a court or a tribunal
  • a disagreement with a decision where a statutory right of appeal exists (e.g. council tax or planning). These should be progressed through the relevant appeal route
  • an attempt to re-open a previously concluded complaint or have a complaint reconsidered where the Council has already provided its final decision
  • a grievance by a Council employee, including grievances relating to employment or recruitment
  • a concern about a child or an adult’s safety
  • abuse or unsubstantiated allegations about the Council and/or its employees (such matters may be considered unacceptable contact)
  • a concern about the actions of a separate organisation (except where the other organisation is delivering services on our behalf)

What can I complain about?

You can complain about things like:

  • products and services that were provided by the Council but not to an appropriate standard e.g. a window not being fitted incorrectly, poor quality street cleaning, grass cutting or housing repairs)
  • service requests or queries you have raised that were not answered or actioned within the agreed timescales
  • treatment by, or attitude of, a Council employee towards you
  • missed appointments or call outs
  • matters that relate to Council policies (but only where the complaint relates specifically to the way the matter was administered)

Complaints procedure

Make a complaint:


Make a complaint online


  • Contact Centre: 01294 310000
  • By contacting the relevant department

In Writing

Write directly to the relevant department using the address Cunninghame House, Irvine, KA12 8EE

Customer Complaint Team, Cunninghame House, Irvine, KA12 8EE

Complaints relating to North Ayrshire Health and Social Care Partnership should be addressed to:

Health and Social Care Partnership Complaints Department, 5th floor west, Cunninghame House, Irvine, KA12 8EE

In person

At any of our public facing offices:


Customer Service Centre
Bridgegate House
Irvine KA12 8BD


Brooksby Medical & Resource Centre
31 Brisbane Road
Largs KA30 8LH


The Town Hall
Countess Street
Saltcoats KA21 5HW

What happens when I make a complaint?

The Council has a two stage complaint procedure and whilst we will always try to deal with your complaint quickly, if it is clear the matter requires detailed investigation we will inform you. Details of the two stages a complaint can be handled under are noted below.

Stage One

We will always try to resolve your complaint quickly and within 5 working days if we can.

If you are dissatisfied with our response, you can ask us to consider your complaint at Stage Two.  

Stage Two

We will look at your complaint at this stage if:

  • you are dissatisfied with the Council's response at Stage One
  • there is a refusal to engage with the Council at Stage One
  • the issue raised is complex and requires detailed investigation

We may also handle complaints at Stage Two from the outset if it is clear they are complex and/or need detailed investigation.

We will acknowledge your Stage Two complaint within 3 working days and provide our decision after no more than 20 working days (unless there is a good reason for needing more time).

The Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO)

If, after receiving a Stage Two complaint response letter you are dissatisfied with the decision or the way your complaint has been handled, you can ask the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) to consider it and details on how to refer your complaint to them will be contained in the letter.

For more information please read our Complaints Handling Procedure – Customer Guidance (PDF, 344kb).

Is this page useful?