Home   Business   Trading standards   Feed business approval or registration

Feed business approval or registration

Animal Feed Stuff businesses cannot operate in North Ayrshire without either registration or approval.

Do I need to register?

Under Feed Hygiene Regulations 183/2005, the following feed businesses must be registered:

  • any operation of production, manufacturing, processing, storage, transport or distribution of animal feed, whether for profit or not and whether public or private
  • any business producing, processing or storing feed for animals on their holding

This includes feed importers, manufacturers, sellers, transporters of feed (for example haulage companies), businesses storing feed, and food companies selling co-products for use as feed.


The regulation doesn't apply to:

  • persons producing or storing feed for or feeding animals intended for their own consumption, or animals not kept for food production
  • the direct supply of 'small quantities' of primary products at local level by the producer to local farms
  • the retailing of pet food

Businesses previously registered under the Feeding Stuffs (Establishments and Intermediaries) Regulations will have their registration continued but should notify us that the same activities are still being carried out.

How to apply

Complete the Food Standards Scotland Feed Registration and Approval Application

For further information on registering please contact:

Do I need approval?

In general, businesses will only need to be approved if you carry out higher risk operations such as:

  • manufacturing or importing certain ingredients (for example specified feed additives, veterinary/medicinal products)
  • activities such as the manufacture and marketing of certain feed additives or pre-mixtures of feed additives

How long does the approval last?

If granted, there is no time limit on registrations or approvals.

Assessments and inspections

In the case of a registration, you won’t usually be visited before a registration is issued, although an inspection of your premises will usually be conducted within 1 year of registering. This will be carried out by an officer from North Ayrshire Council Trading Standards, not Food Standards Scotland.

If you require approval a visit will be needed to carry out an inspection. This may be conducted by either North Ayrshire Council Trading Standards or Food Standards Scotland.

Feed businesses must comply with the conditions set out in the annexes to Regulation 183/2005. For example, feed businesses (such as feed importers, manufacturers, sellers, and haulage companies), businesses storing feed, and food companies selling co-products for use as feed, must comply with the conditions in Annex II which cover:

  • facilities and equipment
  • personnel
  • production
  • quality control
  • storage
  • transport
  • record keeping

The Annex conditions are available to view and download from the Feed Hygiene Regulations 183/2005.

Food Standards Scotland has all Animal Feed Regulations available to view. 


Email the Trading Standards Team


01294 310100

Is this page useful?