Animal Feed Stuff businesses cannot operate in North Ayrshire without either registration or approval.
Do I need to register?
Under Feed Hygiene Regulations 183/2005, the following feed businesses must be registered:
- any operation of production, manufacturing, processing, storage, transport or distribution of animal feed, whether for profit or not and whether public or private
- any business producing, processing or storing feed for animals on their holding
This includes feed importers, manufacturers, sellers, transporters of feed (for example haulage companies), businesses storing feed, and food companies selling co-products for use as feed.
The regulation doesn't apply to:
- persons producing or storing feed for or feeding animals intended for their own consumption, or animals not kept for food production
- the direct supply of 'small quantities' of primary products at local level by the producer to local farms
- the retailing of pet food
Businesses previously registered under the Feeding Stuffs (Establishments and Intermediaries) Regulations will have their registration continued but should notify us that the same activities are still being carried out.
Do I need approval?
In general, businesses will only need to be approved if you carry out higher risk operations such as:
- manufacturing or importing certain ingredients (for example specified feed additives, veterinary/medicinal products)
- activities such as the manufacture and marketing of certain feed additives or pre-mixtures of feed additives
Most feed business establishments are only registered.
How to apply
Complete an Animal Feed Registration Form (Word, 22kb) and return it to us with approval fee.
Registration is free.
Statutory approval fees are as follows:
- If you manufacture only manufacture and place feed additives (referred to in Article 10(1)(a) of Regulation 183/2005) or pre-mixtures of these additives, on the market, there is a one-off payment of £451.
- If you only place feed additives (referred to in Article 10(1)(a) of Regulation 183/2005) or pre-mixtures of these additives, on the market, there is a one-off payment of £226.
What happens next?
When we receive your application (and fee for approvals), we’ll check the application has been completed correctly and then issue your registration. We will inspect your premises within 1 year of registration.
For approvals, we’ll arrange to visit you. Once we have visited you and are satisfied that you meet the requirements, we’ll issue your approval certificate.
How long does the approval last?
If granted, there is no time limit on registrations or approvals.
Assessments and inspections
In the case of a registration, we won’t usually visit you before issuing your registration document. Registration Numbers will be issued within 1 week of application. We’ll contact you if we have any queries about your application. An inspection of your premises will usually be conducted within 1 year of registering.
If you require approval, we’ll need to visit you to carry out an inspection.
Feed businesses which were not registered or approved under previous regulations must put in place and operate procedures based on the principles of Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP).
In addition, those businesses must comply with the conditions set out in the annexes to Regulation 183/2005. For example, feed businesses (such as feed importers, manufacturers, sellers, and haulage companies), businesses storing feed, and food companies selling co-products for use as feed, must comply with the conditions in Annex II which cover:
- facilities and equipment
- quality control
- record keeping
The Annex conditions are available to view and download from the Feed Hygiene Regulations 183/2005.
How to appeal if your application is refused
We cannot refuse to issue a registration but we can take action to suspend or revoke it once issued. We can refuse to issue an approval and can take action to suspend or revoke it once issued.
The appeals process is set out in the Feed (Hygiene and Enforcement) Regulations 2005.
What to do if your circumstances change
If your circumstances change please contact us to let us know.