Do I need this Registration?
Poisons are divided by law between:
- Medicinal Products
- Non-Medicinal Poisons (NMP)
Certain household products such as cleaning agents, toilet chemicals and garden chemicals contain substances classed as NMPs. The substances which are classed as NMPs are listed in the 'Poisons List' (which is in the Poisons Order 1982).
If you intend to sell any NMPs, you must have a council registration or you must work as a retail pharmacist.
What does the law say?
The law on poisons is contained in:
The 'Poisons List' is in 2 parts:
- NMPs which cannot be sold except by pharmacists
- NMPs which cannot be sold except by pharmacists or by persons registered on the Local Authority's List
The Council may refuse to enter a person in the List if one of the following applies:
- the person fails to pay the Council's fees
- in the opinion of the Council he is not fit to be on the List
- in the opinion of the Council his Premises are not fit to be on the List
How to apply
Complete and return a Poisons Licence Application Form (Word, 30kb).
Poisons licence fee: £24
Renewal fee: £12.20
Alterations to Licence: £6.20
Please include the fee with your completed application form. Cheques made payable to North Ayrshire Council. If your applications is refused or granted for a shorter period than you applied, the fee will not be refunded or reduced.
What happens next?
Once we have received your application we’ll arrange to carry out an inspection on your proposed premises (if applicable) to make sure they meet the required standards.
How long does the registration last?
Registration lasts 1 year and can be renewed.
Does the registration have any conditions?
You must store the poisons safely in one of the following locations:
- in a separate drawer or cupboard kept only for that purpose
- in a part of the premises where customers aren’t permitted
- on a shelf kept solely for the storage of poisons where no food is kept directly under the shelf.