Birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificates
As long as the event took place in Scotland, you can apply online, over the telephone or in person to any of our registration offices for a copy of a birth, death, marriage (from 1855 until last year) or civil partnership certificate (from December 2005 until last year).
Certificates for events in this year must be issued from the local authority where the event was registered.
Types of certificates
- short (or abbreviated) certificate - shows minimal information
- long (or full) certificate - shows exactly what is recorded on the register page.
Who can apply?
Birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificates are public documents. Anyone can apply for a copy without restriction.
Apply for a copy certificate
Requests can be made:
- over the phone
- in person
Requests will be processed within 5 working days. The copy certificate will be sent by 2nd class post.
Contact Bereavement Services for copies of lair certificates.
You will need to provide
Have the following information to hand:
- full name of the person(s) including surname at birth
- date of the event
- where the event took place
Fees for certificates in Scotland
- Extract requested where you have the abbreviated certificate: £10
- Extract requested up to 1 month after event was registered: £10
- Thereafter: £15
If postage is required, this will be calculated for you and the total cost will be given to you by a member of the Registration Team.
Request an extract
Adopted birth certificates
Only the adopted individual may request a copy of their adopted birth certificate from National Records of Scotland.
Apply to National Records of Scotland for a copy of a still birth certificate.