Birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificates
As long as the event took place in Scotland, you can apply online, over the telephone or in person to any of our registration offices for a copy of a birth, death, marriage (from 1855 until last year) or civil partnership certificate (from December 2005 until last year). Certificates for events in this year must be issued from the local authority where the event was registered.
Types of Certificates
- Short Certificate (abbreviated certificate) shows minimal information
- Long certificate (full certificate) shows exactly what is recorded on the register page.
Who can apply?
Birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificates are public documents, as such anyone can apply for a copy without restriction.
Apply for a copy certificate
Request an extract
Alternatively, you can call, or visit one of our registration offices.
Online and telephone requests will be processed within 2 working days. The copy certificate will be sent to you by second class post.
You will need to provide
Depending on the certificate you should have the following information to hand:
- full name of the person(s) including surname at birth
- date of the event
- where the event took place
Fees for certificates in Scotland
- If an extract is produced at the time of registration: £10
- Extract requested up to 1 month after event was registered: £10
- Thereafter: £15
There is an additional £1 charge for administrative purposes and postage.
Adopted birth certificates
Only the adopted individual may request a copy of their adoption certificate. Request a copy of your adopted birth certificate from the National Records of Scotland.
You can get a copy of a still birth certificate from the National Records of Scotland.