Home   Business   Environmental health   Register a food business

Register a food business

You are required by Law to register, with Environmental Health, if you are:

  • starting up a new food business
  • taking over an existing food business

How to register

At least 28 days before commencing food operations, you must complete and return a Food Registration form (Word, 177kb).

If you are a childminder, complete this alternative registration form (Word, 138kb) and return to us. 

If you prefer, you may return as an attachment to an email.

There is no charge to register.

If you have premises in more than one area, you must register with each local authority individually.

Information relating to your food business:

  • name
  • address
  • type

will form part of our Register of Food Premises. This is open to the general public. We keep a list of premises in order to programme inspections. Please notify us of any change in activities or closure of an existing establishment.


You must notify us about:

  • premises used for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food (including vehicles, stalls, kiosks, private dwellings)
  • articles and materials for use in contact with food (in connection with a food business)

'Food business' means any undertaking, whether for profit or not and whether public or private, carrying out any of the activities related to any stage of production, processing and distribution of food.

The Food Standards Scotland website provides advice about starting a food business.

Contact Environmental Health




01294 324339


North Ayrshire Council, Housing & Public Protection, Environmental Health, Cunninghame House, Irvine, KA12 8EE