Home   Your community   Community funding   UK Community Renewal Fund

UK Community Renewal Fund


North Ayrshire Council recently sought bids from organisations wishing to deliver activity as part of the UK Community Renewal Fund. The scheme will be implemented between July 2021 and the end of March 2022. The Fund will support people and communities most in need across the UK. It will create opportunities to trial new approaches and innovative ideas at a local level, invest in skills, community & place and local business, and support people into employment. NAC selected and submitted bids for assessment by the UK Government.

Please read our Guidance Summary (PDF, 289kb).

To be eligible projects must:

  • Be delivered (including all expenditure incurred) by 31 March 2022
  • Respond to a need identified in the prospectus, and align with local priorities
  • Not duplicate other national or local provision
  • Not conflict with national policy
  • Be delivered by a legally constituted organisation that can receive public funds

The type of bids we were looking for

Projects must deliver activity that is line with the UK Community Renewal Fund Prospectus and align with at least one of these investment priorities:

  • Investment in skills
  • Investment for local business
  • Investment in communities and place
  • Supporting people into employment

The UK Government anticipates supporting a range of projects by theme and size, but applicants were encouraged to maximise impact and deliverability through larger projects (£500,000+) where possible. 90% of the funding would be revenue with the remaining 10% available for capital spend.

North Ayrshire Council selected bids that met the UK Government’s gateway criteria and best aligned with our Community Wealth Building priorities as well as the Community Renewal Fund investment themes. Other key considerations were the ability to deliver projects in the timescale, work in partnership, leverage additional funding and show innovation in service delivery. Further information is included in our guidance document.

Key dates

  • 23 April 2021 - Application process launched
  • 21 May 2021 - Application process closed
  • 18 June 2021 - North Ayrshire Council submitted shortlist of projects to UK government for assessment
  • End July 2021 - UK government announces successful projects
  • 1 August 2021 - Successful projects can commence
  • 31 March 2022 - Projects must be delivered by this date

The Bidding Process

Before starting work on a bid, we invited interested parties to complete an Expression of Interest.

The following documents provided useful information for potential bidders to complete their applications.

Privacy Policy

Our UK Community Renewal Fund Privacy Policy sets out how we will manage bidder's data.

Further information

Further information is available on the GOV.UK website


Email: crfund@north-ayrshire.gov.uk