Conservation areas are areas of special architectural or historic interest that we feel need to be looked after. These areas are subject to strict planning constraints.
Conservation areas in North Ayrshire
There are 13 conservation areas in North Ayrshire that can be viewed on our map.
In accordance with the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997, the Council has cancelled three of its Conservation Areas and simultaneously re-designated the areas with altered boundaries. This will take effect on the date of advertisement in the relevant local newspapers. You can see these amended boundaries by clicking the links:
Click on the links to see a map of the conservation area's boundaries and for any listed buildings within the area:
- Corrie (PDF, 140kb) - designated July 1985
- Beith (PDF, 209kb) - designated October 1998
- Dalry (PDF, 255kb) - designated December 2006
- Dreghorn (PDF, 783kb) - designated November 1974
- High Corrie (PDF, 62kb) - designated July 1985
- Irvine Harbourside (PDF, 344kb) - designated March 2001
- Irvine Town Centre (PDF, 574kb) - designated March 2001
- Kilbirnie (PDF, 138kb) - designated December 2006
- Lamlash (PDF, 165kb) - designated July 1985
- Millport (PDF, 404kb) - designated January 1971
- Perceton (PDF, 295kb) - designated February 1975
- Skelmorlie (PDF, 246kb) - designated November 1998
- West Kilbride (PDF, 223kb) - designated February 2006
Conservation Area Appraisals and Management Plans
Conservation area appraisals define what is important about the character and appearance of the area. The management plan recommends how the qualities of the conservation area may be maintained and supported. The following conservation area Appraisals and Management Plans have been approved:
What activities do I need consent for?
Within conservation areas, there are extra planning controls. You may need planning permission if you, for example, propose any of the following:
This list is not exhaustive. If you are unsure whether you need planning permission please contact us.
How to apply
Apply for consent
Applications for listed building or conservation area consent are not subject to fees.