Stormy weather brings out rogue tradespeople
Posted on 5 Mar 2020
NORTH Ayrshire Council has warned locals to be extra vigilant of rogue traders ready to take advantage of damage caused by the recent storms.
The Trading Standards team say that the immediate aftermath of the windy and wet weather is when unscrupulous builders are in their element.
Already a vulnerable resident from the Irvine area has been targeted and duped of a significant sum of money.
Police Scotland and Trading Standards are investigating this incident.
Councillor Alex Gallagher, Cabinet Member for Economy, said: “The recent weather has caused a huge amount of damage to properties and gardens across North Ayrshire.
“But please don’t compound your problems by agreeing to have work carried out by a cold caller.
“Please ignore doorstep cold callers and instead check with your insurance company to establish whether you are covered for repairs. Some policies include emergency assistance support. Most insurance companies will appoint their own tradespeople to carry out the work.
“This is the perfect time for them to pick their targets. Please don’t panic and rush into something you will regret and pay the price for.”
The Trading Standard team issued a checklist of dos and don’ts to make sure local residents aren’t duped over the coming days.
The top tips are:
• don’t buy from unexpected doorstep callers
• go on recommendation and use traders that family or friends have been happy with
• if your home has experienced structural damage you need a qualified surveyor to tell you what the actual damage is; never rely on the word of a builder alone
• ensure the business has a genuine address – find out how long they have been there for. If you find lots of businesses at the same address, that can be a warning sign.
• get everything written down – don’t rely on spoken agreements
• be wary of any trader who can start work quickly or straight away. You can expect to wait for a good builder to start work
• don’t buy from the first trader who comes to your door or be rushed in to making a quick decision – seek quotes from reputable traders
If you have been approached by a cold caller, please get in touch with the Trading Standards team on 01294 310101