More car parks to reopen across North Ayrshire
Posted on 26 Jun 2020
A second phase of car parks across North Ayrshire will be reopened from today (Friday).
North Ayrshire Council opened the first phase of car parks, focusing on those in less densely populated areas, on June 18.
And from Friday 26 June, with restrictions being eased and the virus being suppressed, all but two car parks – both in Largs town centre – will be brought back into use.
With travel still to be taken locally, it was decided to keep those at the Vikingar Centre and Largs seafront closed to deter visitors from further afield as the town is a particularly popular tourist hotspot..
The Council will make a further announcement on these two car parks in due course.
Councillor Joe Cullinane, Leader of North Ayrshire Council, said: “We have taken this decision in line with Scottish Government guidance as we take another small step out of lockdown.
“We would continue to urge people to only drive to local areas, maintain physical distancing and adhere to all the guidelines in place.
“We are listening to feedback from key partners, such as Police Scotland, local elected members and the public and believe that the time is not yet right to re-open the two main car parks in Largs as we don’t want to encourage visitors from outwith the area to come to one of our most popular seaside resorts before the Scottish guidance on travel and the reopening of sectors such as hospitality and tourism changes.
“With infection rates low, it is as important as ever that we follow the guidelines. We will keep everyone posted when we agree to open up the car parks in Largs.”
The following car parks will reopen in the second phase of reopening:
• The Turf Car Park, Saltcoats
• The Braes Car Park, Saltcoats
• Portencross Car Park
• Main Road Car Park access road, Fairlie
• Pier Road, Fairlie
• Old Magnum Car Park, Irvine
The mainland car parks opened in the first phase were:
- Pilot House Car Park, Irvine
- Beach Drive, Irvine x 2
- Car Park off Marine Drive, Irvine
- Eglinton Park, Kilwinning x 2
- Stevenston Point Car Park, Stevenston
- Car Park at access to the Dunes, Stevenston (Access point at football park/playpark)
- North Shore, off A78 Ardrossan x 2
- Bowencraig Car Park East – Largs Marina
- Bowencraig Car Park West – Largs Marina
- A760 Picnic Site (Haylie Brae) - Largs
- Lynn Glen, Dalry