Holiday school meals service to return during festive holiday
Posted on 14 Dec 2018
North Ayrshire Council’s award-winning holiday school meals service will return during the Christmas break.
The scheme provides primary school children with a nutritious meal and an hour of physical activity each day, allowing them to catch up with their friends and keep active during the festive period.
Lunches will be served on December 24, 27, 28, 31 and January 3 and 4 at a number of locations across the council area. Sessions are completely free of charge for all children.
Councillor Jim Montgomerie, Cabinet Member for Place, said: “Our holiday school meals initiative continues to go from strength to strength, ensuring that young people have access to nutritious food throughout the year.
“Over this year’s Easter, summer and October breaks alone, our catering staff have served up an incredible 21,200 lunches to North Ayrshire children.
“Holiday hunger remains a real issue across Scotland and the UK, but this initiative has had an extremely positive impact on our young people so far, something which we are very proud of.”
The following schools/locations will be taking part in the initiative:
- Dalry Primary School - Pupils who can attend: Dalry & St Palladius Primary Schools
- Dreghorn Primary School - Pupils who can attend: Dreghorn & Springside Primary Schools
- Elderbank Primary School - Pupils who can attend: Elderbank & St John Ogilvie Primary Schools
- Hayocks Primary School - Pupils who can attend: Hayocks & St John’s Primary Schools
- Mayfield Primary School - Pupils who can attend: Mayfield, St Anthony's and Dykesmains Primary Schools
- St Bridget’s Primary School - Pupils who can attend: St Bridget’s, Moorpark & Garnock Campus Primary Schools
- Abbey Primary School (Lunch only) - Pupils who can attend: All Kilwinning Primary Schools
- Pennyburn Primary School (Lunch only) - Pupils who can attend: All Kilwinning Primary Schools
- Loudoun Montgomery Primary School (Lunch only) - Pupils who can attend: Glebe & Loudoun Montgomery Primary Schools
- The PLAYZ - Pupils who can attend: All Kilwinning Primary Schools
Activities at all venues other than The PLAYZ will run from 11.30am to 12.30pm and lunch will be served from 12.30pm to 1pm on all days except December 24 and 31, when activities will run from 10.30am to 11.30am and lunch will be served from 11.30am to noon.
Sessions will run at The PLAYZ on December 27 and 28 as well as January 3 and 4. Lunch will be served from noon to 12.30pm and activities will run from 12.30pm to 1.30pm.
There’s no need to book a place – pupils can simply turn up at the school or community centre in time for the session.