Holiday meals service back over Christmas
Posted on 15 Dec 2017
THE Council’s award-winning holiday school meals service returns over the festive period.
Lunches will be served on December 27, 28, 29 and January 3, 4, 5 at a number of locations right across the council area.
As well as providing a nutritious meal, an hour of physical activity will be provided during the sessions to allow the children to have fun and a run around with their friends – ensuring they stay fit and active out with the school term.
Councillor Jim Montgomerie, Cabinet Member for Place, said: “The holiday school meals initiative is now firmly established over our four holiday periods.
“It continues to go from strength to strength and is being used by more and more of our young people. During the summer holidays, our catering team served up an incredible 13,500 meals over six weeks. That is a phenomenal effort by them.
“We are incredibly proud of this initiative and, most importantly, the positive impact it is having on our young people.
“Holiday hunger is a very real issue across Scotland and the UK and we continue to lead the way in tackling it.”
Activities take place from 11.30am-12.30pm and lunches are served from 12.30pm -1pm.
All pupils can access the service at the school or community centre closest to them and it will cost just £2 - or is free to those who are entitled to free school meals.
The following schools/locations will be taking part in the initiative:
- Dalry Primary School - Pupils who can attend: Dalry & St Palladius Primary Schools
- Dreghorn Primary School - Pupils who can attend: Dreghorn & Springside Primary Schools
- Elderbank Primary School - Pupils who can attend: Elderbank & St John Ogilvie Primary Schools
- Hayocks Primary School - Pupils who can attend: Hayocks & St John’s Primary Schools
- Mayfield Primary School - Pupils who can attend: Mayfield Primary School
- PRYDE Centre - Pupils who can attend: All Kilwinning Primary Schools
- St Bridget’s Primary School - Pupils who can attend: St Bridget’s, Moorpark & Garnock Campus Primary Schools
There’s no need to book a place – pupils can simply turn up at the school or community centre in time for lunch.