A Weekend Festival of Family Fun
In 2020, Scotland celebrates its coasts and waters with a year-long programme of events and activities which will shine a spotlight on these vital elements of our landscape.
Making Waves is Scotland’s new weekend seaside festival for families to celebrate the rich traditions of our seaside entertainment with a contemporary edge.
Set against the backdrop of the Isle of Arran at Irvine’s Beach Park and historic Harbourside, North Ayrshire is joining the celebrations with a weekend of fun activities on Saturday 18 and Sunday 19 July.
Families and friends are invited to come together to celebrate Scotland’s seaside entertainment in our stunning coastal landscape, and enjoy all we have to offer:
- Music, arts, street-theatre and storytelling
- Fun activities on and off the water, including beach sports and watersports taster sessions - most are FREE
- Dragon Boat Races
- A big beach clean
- Traditional seaside entertainment
- Eco and Wellness village
- Seafood, ice cream and friendly bars and cafes
- FREE entry to Scottish Maritime Museum
On Saturday 18 July, festival-goers will enjoy free live music performances on an open-air stage at Irvine Beach Park.
The Scottish Maritime Museum will host a STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) exhibition and various arts and crafts will be on show at the Harbour Arts Centre and WASP Studios.
On Sunday 18 July, there will also be a special guest appearance from Scotland’s largest puppet, Storm. This spectacular 10-metre-high sea goddess is made from recycled and natural materials and is fully animated by a team of eight puppeteers.
Check back here for more information and an event map and timetable in spring 2020
Want to get involved? There are lots of ways to be part of the Festival:
- You could enter your own Dragon Boat team for fun or to fundraise for your favourite charity
- Volunteer to help out behind the scenes
- Get your organisation involved in delivering a family activity as part of the weekend
- Take a stand/stall at the event to tell people about your organisation
- Sponsor an activity
For further Information