In April 2020, North Ayrshire Council’s Rent Deposit Scheme joined the Housing Services Private Sector Team. The Private Sector Team works alongside letting agents, landlords, homeowners and tenants to improve property condition and increase housing supply.
The provision of private sector housing is an important contribution to housing families within North Ayrshire Council.
What is the Rent Deposit Scheme?
The aim of the Rent Deposit Guarantee Scheme is to help people who want to rent a home from a private landlord but are unable to afford a cash deposit. The local authority issues a written guarantee to the landlord and the tenant is able to pay towards the deposit over a six-month period.
To be eligible applicants must:
- Be in receipt of benefits or have a low wage or income
- Be unable to afford a deposit for a private let
- Be willing to pay the deposit back to the landlord
- Have a local connection with North Ayrshire
What are the benefits?
- We support and advise private tenants on finding suitable accommodation within the private sector as well as throughout the tenancy
- We inspect all properties prior to incorporating them into the scheme, to ensure they meet the tolerable standard, which includes valid gas and safety certificates and smoke detectors
- We ensure all landlords are registered through Landlord Registration and meet the ‘fit and proper person’ test
- We help landlords by giving them a written guarantee which is valid for six months, providing tenancy security as well as support and advice throughout the tenancy;
- Offer support and advice to landlords and tenants throughout the tenancy which includes quarterly visits to tenants
If you are interested in or have any questions in relation to the Rent Deposit Scheme please email Emma Anderson, Team Manager (Private Sector Housing) email@example.com