Tenant participation aims to improve the standard of housing conditions and service.
Customer Connections Strategy
Customer Connections Strategy (PDF, 1.74mb)
This strategy takes into account the requirements from the Scottish Social Housing Charter. It includes views of service users who are not tenants. Content, aims and objectives were agreed in consultation with the North Ayrshire Network (NAN), tenants, staff and other customers.
An action plan helps us take forward the strategy. This is reviewed annually.
We'll keep you informed and consulted on changes to Housing Policies, Conditions and Housing, and related, services.
Add your details to the Interested Tenants' Register
Being part of a tenants' group gives you a greater voice. Our Customer Involvement leaflet (PDF, 431kb) tells you more.
Option 1: Decision making
North Ayrshire Network (NAN)
The NAN facilitates discussion and networking between communities. It examines the work of our Housing Service and ensures continual improvements in delivery.
Each Registered Tenant Organisation and Tenants and Residents Association can send 2 representatives to quarterly meetings.
Service Improvement Groups
A 'hands on' option of developing new services or policies. Find out more about service improvement groups.
Estate Based Projects
Influence how we spend the environmental improvement budget in your area. This may include:
- security lighting
Option 2: Scrutiny and monitoring
We want tenants to scrutinise the services we provide. Find out how to be involved.
Option 3: Your views and opinions
Find out more about housing consultations, surveys and events.
Inclusion, equalities and overcoming barriers to involvement
We commit to treating people respectfully, fairly and equally across all areas of our business. We're committed to tackling discrimination and harassment. We ensure that our services are accessible to all the protected characteristics within the Equality Act 2010.
Housing Service's Accessibility Policy and Equality and Diversity Policy outline how we'll put in place equality matters. Both are available on request at area housing offices.
An equality impact assessment has been completed for this Strategy. This impact statement was developed and approved by the North Ayrshire Network.
Involving all customers
We developed a targeted approach to gain views of 'hard to reach' groups as follows;
Our 'Youth Connections' initiative engages with younger people by linking with other council services. Our Tenancy Matters magazine includes a 'Youth Talk' section.
LGBT Youth Charter
We are working towards achieving the LGBT charter.
We work with partners and residents to provide a quality service to gypsies and travellers.
Tenants in Temporary Homeless Accommodation
Housing Services seek the views of Homeless Service Users. The Hostel Manager hosts 'chips and chat' nights to gauge views. The service has developed a Homeless Service User Consultation framework.
Overcoming Barriers to Involvement
To help overcome barriers to participation:
- Family responsibilities - we'll provide a free crèche during meetings, or make available child minding allowances.
- Transport - where requested, we'll provide transport for customers to attend Housing events.
- Location - meetings will take place in community venues.
- Times - meeting times will take account of the preferences of local communities.
- Agenda programme - we'll provide training and specialist assistance as required.
- Accessibility of information - we'll make sure that information is accessible, providing documents in other languages and formats, if required. Interpreting facilities and hearing loops are available in all local area offices.
- Finance and level of resources - we'll make sure funds are provided to develop the agreed issues and enhance resources. A Freepost address is available for written communication.
- Attitude - we'll provide training to give staff, tenants and other service users an awareness of equality issues.
National Engagement – Region 7 – West Strathclyde
Regional Networks build partnerships between the Scottish Government and Registered Tenant Organisations. North Ayrshire Council is part of region 7- West Strathclyde.