uses cookies which are essential for the site to work. We also use non-essential cookies to help us improve our websites. Any data collected is anonymised. By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about cookies

Problems paying rent
Home   Housing   Information for tenants   Rent   Problems paying rent

Problems paying rent?

Let us know

If you fall into arrears with your rent, you should contact your Area Housing Office immediately.

Staff will:

  • discuss your arrears with you
  • agree a repayment arrangement
  • give you advice about applying for benefits if you are on a low income.

If you are unable to pay the amount you owe in full, we can enter into an agreement with you on how you will pay it off gradually. This involves paying an extra amount, on top of your rent, until the debt is paid off.


You can download a reminder (iCal, 2kb) to your phone or device to notify you when your rent is due.

Debt advice

Tenants should contact the Welfare Reform Advice Team (details below) for any Welfare Rights or debt advice.

If you are on a low income, you may qualify for Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.

Independent advice is available from:

  • National Debt Line: phone 0808 808 4000
  • Citizens Advice Bureau
  • Community Housing Advocacy Project: phone 01294 475633 or email

Rent Management

Contact Welfare Reform Advice Team



0300 999 4606