Home   Housing   Information for tenants   Problems paying rent

Problems paying rent?

Let us know

If you fall into arrears with your rent, you should contact your Area Housing Office immediately.

Staff will:

  • discuss your arrears with you
  • agree a repayment arrangement
  • give you advice about applying for benefits if you are on a low income.

If you are unable to pay the amount you owe in full we can enter into an agreement with you on how you will pay it off gradually. This involves paying an extra amount in addition to your rent over a period of time until the debt is paid off.

Debt advice

We can refer you to a Housing Money Advice or Welfare Rights advisor.

You can get independent advice from:

  • The National Debt Line on 0808 808 4000
  • Your local Citizens Advice Bureau
  • Community Housing Advocacy Project on 01294 475633 or CHAP@irvinec.freeserve.co.uk
  • North Ayrshire Money Advisor Welfare Rights Unit on 01294 310456

If you are on a low income, you may qualify for Housing Benefit.

Rent Management