Occupational therapy

Occupational therapists help people to carry out activities they need or want to do, but as a result of illness, disability or exclusion, are prevented from doing.

We support people of all ages with:

  • physical disabilities
  • long term conditions
  • mental health difficulties 
  • learning disabilities
  • carers.

What is involved?

Our team delivers programmes of structured, intensive support tailored to your particular needs. This can:

  • boost confidence
  • help you recover from accident or illness
  • ease the transition from hospital to home.

We can also help you access equipment and adaptations for your home.

If you receive Reablement Services, an occupational therapist will be part of your intensive support team.

Accessing the occupational therapy service

Contact reception services at a Health and Social Care Partnership office who may make a referral to the Independent Living Service. Your social worker will be able to refer you. Referrals are taken from other agencies such as GPs, district nurses etc.

We have a priority system to make sure the service is provided as soon as it can be for the people who need it most. For example:

  • terminally ill people
  • people being discharged or at risk of being admitted to hospital
  • people whose current caring support is at risk of breaking down
  • people whose informal carer is unable to continue caring

We usually arrange to visit you at home to assess your needs.  

What happens at the visit?

We will discuss options with you. These may include:

  • considering what support may benefit you in managing everyday tasks 
  • advice about difficulties you, or your carer, may be experiencing
  • providing information on local resources
  • looking at ways that equipment and adaptations to your home might help.

Is there a cost?

There is no charge for your assessment. We may ask you to provide for lower cost items that are not on our standard equipment stock item list. If you decide to buy a larger piece of equipment with your own funds, we may be able to offer advice.

Contact Community Care, Disabilities and Sensory Impairment Service


01294 552771

Text (Sensory Impairment Service)



Dirrans Centre Facebook page


Dirrans Centre, Dirrans Terrace, Kilwinning, KA13 7PH