uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies.

Equipment and adaptations uses cookies to make the site simpler

Find out more about cookies

Home   Health and social care   Adults and older people   Equipment and adaptations

Equipment and adaptations

If you need equipment and/or adaptations in order to stay in your own home, we may be able to help.

How do I access these services?

Contact your Health and Social Care Partnership office and ask for an assessment. An occupational therapist may visit you at home to do this. They may recommend the following:


Equipment might be:

  • a raised toilet seat, a toilet frame or grab rails
  • chair raisers or specialist cushions
  • bed raisers, pillow and mattress lifts and rails
  • bath boards, bath seats, bath lifts and grab rails

We supply equipment on long term loan, free of charge. When you no longer need the equipment, we expect you to return it to us.

Equipment store staff supply and fit equipment ordered by HSCP. We don't supply equipment direct to the public. In an emergency, prescribed equipment can be collected from the store if notified by your worker at time of ordering. For advice about equipment contact the Occupational Therapy Service.

Return equipment

If you no longer require your equipment, call 01294 313891 to arrange collection or return it to the store at the address below. Where possible, returned equipment is sanitised and re-used.


Stairlifts are installed and maintained by our stair lift contracted partner. Eligibility depends on your assessed level of need and the suitability of your home.  

Adaptations and costs

Low cost and minor adaptations

Some low cost and minor adaptations will usually be provided free of charge subject to eligibility criteria being met.  

Major adaptations

If we are considering a major adaptation we will advise you of our decision and what will happen next. This could include creation of a wet room, ramp or specialist toilet. This list is not exhaustive.

Local authority and social housing tenants

All adaptations provided by the HSCP and social housing providers are provided free of charge. Some social housing providers may ask you to contribute to the maintenance costs of major adaptations. Always check with your housing association to find out if there is a charge.

For homeowners and private sector tenants

There may be grants available to help (subject to an assessment) with major adaptations. Your occupational therapist will advise.

Grant assistance is available at a minimum level of 80% of the cost of adaptation works through the scheme of assistance. If you are assessed as eligible for major adaptations you'll be asked to provide indicative quotes before work can start. Private tenants need written agreement from their landlord before any adaptations can start.

More information

For more information contact your HSCP office or for specific enquiries use the following: 

Questions about your assessment or general enquiries:

Independent Living Service 
North Ayrshire Council 
Horseshoe Building 
Ayrshire Central Hospital 
Kilwinning Rd 
Irvine, KA12 

Tel: 01294 400616 

Arrange collection and return of equipment:

Equipment Stores
Unit 34, 24 Kyle Road
Kyle Industrial Estate
Irvine KA12 8LH

Tel: 01294 313891