Home   Council & democracy   EU Settlement Scheme

EU Settlement Scheme

If you are a European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss citizen, you and your family will be able to apply to get either settled or pre-settled status.

This will mean you can continue living in the UK after the 31 December 2020 and you will have until 30 June 2021 to apply for either settled or pre-settled status.

North Ayrshire is one of the local authorities supporting EU, EEA and Swiss citizens to complete the ID verification part of the process. 

Who can apply?

Information on who is required to apply for pre-settled or settled status can be found on the GOV.UK 

There will be no change to current rights under EU law until the end of the planned implementation period on 31 December 2020.

Identity verification

You will need a compatible Android phone or tablet if you want to scan your identity document yourself, this can be your own phone or tablet or someone else’s.

If your mobile phone or other device doesn’t have near field communication (NFC) you can make an appointment to bring your ID document to us, where it can be scanned and verified for you. You will then be able to make an application for pre-settled or settled status. 

We will not need to keep your ID document and in most cases, you should not be asked to send your passport anywhere else during your application for pre-settled or settled status.

Appointments can be made at the following libraries by calling 03333 445 675

Ardrossan Library

  • Tuesday - 2.15pm - 4.15pm
  • Thursday - 2.15pm - 4.15pm

Irvine Library

  • Monday - 10am - 3pm
  • Tuesday - 2pm - 4pm
  • Thursday - 2pm – 4pm

Largs Library

  • Monday - 2pm - 4pm
  • Tuesday - 1pm - 3pm
  • Thursday - 10.30am -12 noon

What to bring to your appointment

  • your current valid biometric EU, EEA or Swiss passport or a valid Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) for family members of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen
  • a mobile phone that can receive text messages or a device that can receive email. If you have neither you can use the library computers.

Only the ID documents listed above can be checked by us. If you do not have one of these ID documents then please visit GOV.UK for further options.